[comp.windows.x] XtNinput and wms

duanev@kauai.ACA.MCC.COM (Duane Voth) (08/31/89)

In article <8908251922.AA26660@expo.lcs.mit.edu>, converse@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Donna Converse) writes:
> Concerning the Shell input resource...
> The default is false.  It is documented to be false in section 4.1.3
> of the Intrinsics manual, and it is false in R3 code.

Just a thought on an effect of this...  Obviously most window managers
currently ignore this hint since toolkit applications continue to work
despite the default of false.  But doesn't this put *new* window managers
in a bind?  If a new window manager were to try and honor this hint
many existing applications would "break" and the finger would apparently
point to the window manager.  I suspect the community would resist using
such a window manager.  Comments?

--
--- duane voth             duanev@mcc.com
----           ALL systems are arbitrary!