[comp.windows.x] xterm 4014/vt102 mode switch escapes

samperi@marob.masa.com (Dominick Samperi) (09/04/89)

It is pointed out in the xterm man page that one can switch modes between
vt102 and 4014 by means of escape sequences, but there is also a comment
about the xterm man page being too long to include a description of these
escape sequences. There is a pointer to a document named "Xterm escape
sequences," but I have not been able to locate any such document in the
X11R3 distribution. Would somebody please let me know where I can find
documentation on the mode-switching escape sequences? What I would like
to do is run an application where all user interaction takes place in
the vt102 window, except that graphs are drawn in the 4014 window.

Thanks!

Dominick Samperi
Citicorp
uunet!ccorp!samperi
--
Dominick Samperi -- ESCC
samperi@marob.masa.com

mic@ut-emx.UUCP (Mic Kaczmarczik) (09/04/89)

In article <2501BB78.3FF9@marob.masa.com> samperi@marob.masa.com (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>It is pointed out in the xterm man page that one can switch modes between
>vt102 and 4014 by means of escape sequences, but there is also a comment
>about the xterm man page being too long to include a description of these
>escape sequences. There is a pointer to a document named "Xterm escape
>sequences," but I have not been able to locate any such document in the
>X11R3 distribution. Would somebody please let me know where I can find
>documentation on the mode-switching escape sequences? What I would like
>to do is run an application where all user interaction takes place in
>the vt102 window, except that graphs are drawn in the 4014 window.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Dominick Samperi
>Citicorp
>uunet!ccorp!samperi

There is still no such document for the X 11 xterm, but one afternoon
I figured out some Tektronix/VT switch sequences by rooting through
the sources, and you're more than welcome to what I found.  The tables
used for parsing escape sequences are pretty hairy, so I may have just
lucked onto the ones I found, but they do work.

This escape sequence flips to the Tektronix window from VT102 mode:
	<ESC>[?38h

where <ESC> is the normal escape character (ASCII 27) and the rest of
the characters are literal, for a total of 6 characters.

This escape sequence moves the cursor back to the VT102 window from
the Tek window:
	<ESC><CTRL-C>

(where <CTRL-C> is ASCII 3), for a total of 2 characters.

For example, I use the following C-shell aliases to move between the
Tek and VT100 windows interactively.  The funkiness with the TR
command is just so I don't imbed non-printable characters in my
.cshrc.

	alias seltek	'echo -n "E[?38h" | tr E \\033' # xterm Tek window
	alias selvt	'echo -n "EC" | tr EC \\033\\003' # xterm VT102 window

Here's hoping this helps,

Mic Kaczmarczik

--
Mic Kaczmarczik					   Internet: mic@emx.utexas.edu
Unix/VMS Services 				   BITNET: MIC@UTAIVC

     Don't worry about life, son. It ain't nohow permanent.  -- Walt Kelly