[net.news] Very Old News

phil@amd70.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (03/28/84)

Recently, the net was deluged with old news which had been stored up on decwrl
and suddenly transmitted to amd70. (as an aside, I didn't know it was going
to happen and once it did happen didn't see much I could do about it)

Now there seems to be old news coming from another source. Here's a sample
header. Any guesses as to what happened this time?

--
Phil Ngai (408) 988-7777 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd70!phil

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (03/28/84)

In article <4473@amd70.UUCP> phil@amd70.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>Recently, the net was deluged with old news which had been stored up on decwrl
>and suddenly transmitted to amd70. (as an aside, I didn't know it was going
>to happen and once it did happen didn't see much I could do about it)
>
>Now there seems to be old news coming from another source. Here's a sample
>header. Any guesses as to what happened this time?

It is probably sdcrdcf's fault.  About a month ago we lost our
/usr/spool filesystem with all of our news.  When we got back up,
we requested that akgua send us their back news to restore our
news directories.  However, we had a problem with the news batching
protocol w/ akgua, so all of that news sat on our machine without
being posted until a couple of days ago, when things suddenly
started moving.  Voila!  Old articles.

Hang on and we should be settled down in a day or so.

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3,trw-unix}!sdcrdcf!jonab