[net.news.group] How about these groups?

smk@axiom.UUCP (Steven M. Kramer) (08/14/85)

We already have mod.map.uucp.  How about:
mod.map.arpa
mod.map.bitnet
mod.map.csnet

 ... so that our databases can handle these sites?  The moderator should
obviously be on both uucp and the net in question.
--
	--steve kramer
	{allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!axiom!smk	(UUCP)

greg@ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) (08/15/85)

In article <80@axiom.UUCP> smk@axiom.UUCP (Steven M. Kramer) writes:
>How about:
>	mod.map.arpa
>	mod.map.bitnet
>	mod.map.csnet

Although I agree with the usefulness of having the maps for the various
interconnected networks available for pathalias to munch on, I disagree
that there should be a separate newsgroup for each one.  In fact, since
mod.map.uucp is the only subgroup of mod.map, I would suggest removing
mod.map.uucp and put \all/ of the mapping-related traffic in mod.map,
including the ARPAnet (BITNET, CSnet, DECnet, etc.) connectivity data,
which is all that's required (no site information is needed unless the
site is also connected via UUCP).  How's that, Spaf?  Another newsgroup
you can nuke!
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg@ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA

rs@mirror.UUCP (08/22/85)

I agree that collapsing everything into mod.map is a good idea.
It certainly seems that UUCP is the fastest-changing net, and
the traffic there doesn't seem TOO bad (although I wish the
messages were smaller :-), that I think it's feasible to put
all the postings in one group.  If not, then maybe there should
just be two groups -- mod.map.uucp, and mod.map.non-uucp (which
should of course be changed to mod.map.us and mod.map.them :-).

Angel@ADRVAX recently posted a BITNET directory and pathalias-format
list.  Joel West@sdcsvax posted a short filter to convert an ARPA
hosts table into pathalias-format.  (Both postings were in net.mail,
btw.)  Mark, would you be willing to redistribute them after some
ARPAnaut sends you a converted hosts.txt?

--
Rich $alz	{mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube} !mirror!rs
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Ave.