[comp.windows.x] Private message to minoska

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (09/07/89)

I tried twice to get this email response to minoska at ohio state
but they both bounced.

Subject: Re: Should I buy an X terminal (versus a workstation)

In article <1989Sep6.033916.7193@.uucp> you write:
> (1) is an X terminal a `good thing' or a bad choice for a dumb
>scientist who would like a workstation-style environment without
>getting a workstation?

I think I good choice would be the Amiga Computer for you. X11R2 has
been shipping for it since May and X11R3 will start shipping in Oct.

Although Xlib And Xt are not available yet they are in alpha testing
and will be available for Amiga X11 developers later this year.

Until then the X11 system for the Amiga offers a monochrome server
and several local clients uwm,twm,xcalc,bitmap,xclock, etc.
It supports connections over ethernet with tcp/ip so you can access
X software on the remote Sun you have.

Color X11 is also in Alpha testing and will be out early part of next
year.

If you want to be able to program right away you can be placed on the
alpha/beta testing list for Xlib and Xt for the Amiga as soon as you
get X11 for your amiga.

Total hardware cost will be less than $5000 for complete system.
email me for more details if you are interested.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale