[comp.windows.x] XView Toolkit on DECStation 3100

dwf@demos.lanl.gov (David W. Forslund) (09/10/89)

I managed to get the attr/attr_copy.c and win/win_keymap.c files to
compile by using the -O option.   The libraries libxvin.a and
libxvol.a seemed to build correctly.  However, when I try build the
applications in usr.bin/tools/xview, I get the message that the
libraries have no table of contents.  When I try to add one with
the "ar ts" command, ar core dumps when fixing up libxvin.a (it seems
to take libxvol.a ok).  By the way, one must remove old versions of
libxvin.a and libxvol.a when rebuilding them.  The Makefiles just
keep adding to the library each time you run make.  Any ideas from
anyone on how to keep ar from core dumping?

--
David Forslund
MS E531

(505) 665-1907
(dwf@lanl.gov)

dmc%satori@Sun.COM (Doug Cook) (09/11/89)

In article <DWF.89Sep9233636@demos.lanl.gov> dwf@demos.lanl.gov (David W. Forslund) writes:
> I managed to get the attr/attr_copy.c and win/win_keymap.c files to
> compile by using the -O option.

Glad you got these to compile. I've been unable to reproduce this particular problem on
my DEC 3100, even without optimization.

A word of caution about XView and the 3100 (MIPS) compiler: when you're using
optimization, you may experience problems with the menu package (...libxvol/menu).
I would recommend compiling that package, at least, without optimization. I've tried very
hard to reproduce this bug under other conditions, but it appears to be a subtle
bug in the compiler's optimizer.

> Any ideas from
> anyone on how to keep ar from core dumping?

You might try rebooting your machine, or try "ar tsl" instead of "ar ts". I don't
see why these should make a difference, but I don't see why ar should core dump,
either. Anyone else got any ideas?

> By the way, one must remove old versions of
> libxvin.a and libxvol.a when rebuilding them.  The Makefiles just
> keep adding to the library each time you run make.

The Imakefiles were designed to quickly build the XView libraries from scratch. Thus
they use "ar clq". You might want to change this to "ar ruvl" to facilitate
changing individual object files. There's a line in XView.config to do this.
Alternatively, you could just specify "AR=ar ruvl" on the "make" command line.

	-Doug

Doug Cook				dmc@sun.com
Software Engineer, XView Group
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

montjoy@ucece1.ece.uc.edu (Robert C. Montjoy) (09/11/89)

Hi,

Try using "ranlib lib.a" to add a table of contents to your libraries.
It will add the table of contents for you.

Rob Montjoy

E-MAIL montjoy@ucece1.ece.uc.edu