[comp.windows.x] multi-window XDefineCursor

jne@goldhill.COM (09/05/89)

Hi.

I have a multi top-level window application (X11.R3, Xt, Athena Widgets).
Sometimes, I want to change the cursor briefly for all of my windows in
order to put up a "busy cursor".  Currently, I am doing it by grabbing
the mouse.  This, of course, has the undesirable side effect of grabbing
focus (under some window managers).  I really only want the cursor to
be effected for my client's windows.  I know I could do this with
XDefineCursor for each of my windows (including child windows).  Is there
any more efficient way to do a client wide XDefineCursor?

Thanks.

Jeff Eisen
Gold Hill Computers
617-621-3404
jne@goldhill.com

peter@polygen.uucp (Peter Ent) (09/13/89)

In article <8909051506.AA19531@godzilla.goldhill.com> jne@goldhill.COM writes:

>I have a multi top-level window application (X11.R3, Xt, Athena Widgets).
>Sometimes, I want to change the cursor briefly for all of my windows in
>order to put up a "busy cursor".  Currently, I am doing it by grabbing
>the mouse.  This, of course, has the undesirable side effect of grabbing
>focus (under some window managers).  I really only want the cursor to
>be effected for my client's windows.  I know I could do this with
>XDefineCursor for each of my windows (including child windows).  Is there
>any more efficient way to do a client wide XDefineCursor?

I had the same problem and decided to use an InputOnly window that covered
all the child windows, setting the InputOnly window's cursor attribute to
the XC_watch cursor. This seems extremely quick and if what the X folks
say is true about InputOnly windows, is quite efficent, too.

Pete Ent
Polygen Corp
617-890-2888