[comp.windows.x] Pixrects in XView

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (09/14/89)

I'm trying to port some Sunview programs to XView (like everyone else :-).

I'm having some problems with code which uses pixrects.  XView defines
memory pixrects, but makes almost all operations on them invalid.  Why
is this?  The conversion manual clearly implies they still work.  Will
it work to use the operations from the sunview pixrect library? (I'd
try it, but I have to fix innumerable other problems before I can tell
whether it works...)

A couple of other questions:

How does XView differ from View2?  Or is it just another name for it?

Why are all the page numbers in the manuals wrong?

-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

dmc%satori@Sun.COM (Doug Cook) (09/15/89)

In article <887@skye.ed.ac.uk> richard@aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:
>I'm having some problems with code which uses pixrects.  XView defines
>memory pixrects, but makes almost all operations on them invalid.  Why
>is this?  The conversion manual clearly implies they still work.  Will
>it work to use the operations from the sunview pixrect library? (I'd
>try it, but I have to fix innumerable other problems before I can tell
>whether it works...)

XView itself does not support operations on memory pixrects, though you
can use the Sun pixrect library in conjunction with XView. However, this
construct is not portable, since only Suns have the pixrect library.
If you're concerned with portability, I would suggest using server
images instead of memory pixrects.

>How does XView differ from View2?  Or is it just another name for it?

You got it. View2 was an early name for the XView toolkit.

>Why are all the page numbers in the manuals wrong?

The documents were written using Frame, which apparently
resolves page numbers properly when the document is printed as
a book. However, we dumped the documents to separate PostScript files,
so that the page numbers weren't calculated properly. Our group's tech
writer is currently working on fixing this. We'll post properly
numbered docs soon. Sorry for any hassle this may have caused.

	-Doug

Doug Cook		(dmc@sun.com)
Software Engineer, XView Group		This space intentionally left blank.
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (09/16/89)

In article <124730@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> dmc@sun.UUCP (Doug Cook) answers my
questions about Xview.

>XView itself does not support operations on memory pixrects, though you
>can use the Sun pixrect library in conjunction with XView. However, this
>construct is not portable, since only Suns have the pixrect library.
>If you're concerned with portability, I would suggest using server
>images instead of memory pixrects.

Ok, but memory pixrects (rather than server images) are useful because
(as it says in the memvar.h supplied with XView) they permit "more direct
access to the image" (than general pixrectops, but also than server
images).  It would be handy if someone were to produce a portable
memory pixrect library.

>We'll post properly
>numbered docs soon. Sorry for any hassle this may have caused.

Good!  The manuals are pretty useless when you can't use the index.

Thanks for the prompt response.

-- Richard