[comp.windows.x] a problem with changing GC on a VAXStation 2000

sla@helios (Steve Allen) (09/15/89)

Either of the following code snippets causes trouble on a VAXStation 2000
running "Ultrix-32 version 3.0 rev 64" and "UWS V2.0 System #1" with all
of the X11 supplied from DEC:
----
XSetLineAttributes(dpy,gc,(unsigned int)w,LineSolid,CapButt,JoinMiter);
----or alternatively----
gc_val.line_width = (int)(w);
XChangeGC(dpy,gc,GCLineWidth,gc_val);
----

This same code works fine with the MIT XV11R3 server on Sun3, Sun4, Sparc.
However, when run on the VAXStation it causes the window to flash colors
and then the server hangs for a few minutes before any window responds.

Has anyone else seen this?

Steve Allen
sla@helios.ucsc.edu
sla@portal (BITNET)
...!ucbvax!ucscc!helios!sla

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (09/16/89)

> Either of the following code snippets causes trouble on a VAXStation 2000
> running "Ultrix-32 version 3.0 rev 64" and "UWS V2.0 System #1" with all
> ----
> XSetLineAttributes(dpy,gc,(unsigned int)w,LineSolid,CapButt,JoinMiter);

Works fine for me.  I'd recommend that you upgrade your system to UWS2.1.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (09/16/89)

In article <9124@saturn.ucsc.edu>, sla@helios (Steve Allen) writes:

> Either of the following code snippets causes trouble on a VAXStation 2000
> running "Ultrix-32 version 3.0 rev 64" and "UWS V2.0 System #1" with all
> of the X11 supplied from DEC:
> ----
> XSetLineAttributes(dpy,gc,(unsigned int)w,LineSolid,CapButt,JoinMiter);
> ----or alternatively----
> gc_val.line_width = (int)(w);
> XChangeGC(dpy,gc,GCLineWidth,gc_val);
> ----
>
> This same code works fine with the MIT XV11R3 server on Sun3, Sun4, Sparc.
> However, when run on the VAXStation it causes the window to flash colors
> and then the server hangs for a few minutes before any window responds.

Please upgrade to UWS 2.1.

--
Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp