[comp.windows.x] Problems running motif from Ultrix onto a VMS workstation.

bferguso@ics.uci.edu (B. Ferguson) (09/14/89)

I'm trying to run motif on a VMS workstation. That is I want to run
mwm off a Ultrix machine, so that it controls the windows on a VMS system.

Both the VMS system and the ULTRIX system have decnet.

To run the system we have tried:

1) change protection on the VMS system to *::* under the session manager.
2) set host to the ULTRIX machine.
3) setenv DISPLAY to <nodename>::0.0
4) /usr/bin/X11/mwm

This results in the "X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display"
message.

Can anyone help solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (09/14/89)

You must tell the server that the host that the client is running
on is allowed to access the display.  On Unix (Ultrix) systems
the name of the command to do this is "xhost +<nodename>".  On VMS,
who knows?

regards,
fletcher
Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com

frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (09/15/89)

In article <1989Sep13.214009.10069@paris.ics.uci.edu>, bferguso@ics.uci.edu (B. Ferguson) writes:

> To run the system we have tried:
>
> 1) change protection on the VMS system to *::* under the session manager.

You might want to try setting the protrection on the VMS system to

		machine_name::ultrix-uid-number

For example, my machine is "croton", and my uid is "frank" (which is 268 on
croton).  I would use

		croton::268

This has worked for me in the past.

Regards,

						Frank

ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin Ellsworth) (09/15/89)

I don't know if this is a typo in the posting or really the problem,
but

> 3) setenv DISPLAY to <nodename>::0.0

has one too may colons in it.

Benjamin Ellsworth      | ben@cv.hp.com                | INTERNET
Hewlett-Packard Company | {backbone}!hplabs!hp-pcd!ben | UUCP
1000 N.E. Circle        | (USA) (503) 750-4980         | FAX
Corvallis, OR 97330     | (USA) (503) 757-2000         | VOICE
                     All relevant disclaimers apply.

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (09/15/89)

In article <100920112@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>, ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin
Ellsworth) writes:
> > 3) setenv DISPLAY to <nodename>::0.0
>
> has one too may colons in it.

Actually, this is correct.  According to Scheifler et al's DP book (p.
11), UNIX clients should specify DECnet connections by using 2 colons.

I suspect that the original poster's problem has to do with setting the
list of allowed hosts on the machine running the server.  Is that
server initialized when you try to connect to it?

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

bferguso@ics.uci.edu (B. Ferguson) (09/16/89)

In article <1820@bacchus.dec.com> klee@decwrl.dec.com writes:
>In article <100920112@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>, ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin
>Ellsworth) writes:
>> > 3) setenv DISPLAY to <nodename>::0.0
>>
>> has one too may colons in it.
>
>Actually, this is correct.  According to Scheifler et al's DP book (p.
>11), UNIX clients should specify DECnet connections by using 2 colons.
>
>I suspect that the original poster's problem has to do with setting the
>list of allowed hosts on the machine running the server.  Is that
>server initialized when you try to connect to it?
>
>Ken Lee
>DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
>Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
>uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

 Sorry, but the security may not be a problem, unless I missed something.

We set the security on the running session, AND have been able to
control the screen with twm under the same scenario.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Bruce.