Date: Wed, 6 Sep 89 14:23:07 PDT
From: Alan Mimms <alan@apple.com>
Subject: X for Macintosh, etc.

Hi.  I'd like to reply to the Macintosh portion of your questions
about X.  There IS a way to use X via your Macintosh -- it's a soon to
be released product from Apple called MacX.  I'll include the standard
blurb I send out below.  If you have any questions, please ask.

Also, Apple sells an Ethernet controller board for MacII.  You can
also buy one from Kinetics in Walnut Creek, California (sorry, no
phone number).

Hope this helps..

MacX runs on MacPlus or newer machines with >* 1MB of memory (2MB is HIGHLY
recommended).  It supports color on machines that support color quickdraw.
It can be used with MacTCP (Apple's TCP/IP) via pretty much any Ethernet
adapter (Apple's EtherTalk board, for example) or via the LocalTalk twisted
pair network connection through a Kinetics or other DDP<->IP gateway.

It will ship with >1MB of fonts (not all are required), so a floppy-based
system probably would be a little cramped.  A hard disk is HIGHLY recommended.

MacX will run on Apple's system software version 6.0.2 or later.  It will
run with MacVM on hardware on which that is supported when system software
version 7.0 ships sometime late this year.

MacX will be available in Q4 of 1989 via computer store shelves priced at
$299 in single quantities or from Apple Licensing (for site licenses).

Hope this helps.

alan
z alan apple  9/06/89
'Alan Mimms          CANTIN%NRCVM01.BITN  9/06/89 X for Macintosh, etc.
************************************************************************ 50
Date:   Thu, 7 Sep 89 03:01:00 EDT
From:   kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski)
Subject: Re: X windows for Mac II, PC; Ethernet cards for Mac + PC

In article <8909062001.AA01714@expo.lcs.mit.edu> you write:
 >  1. We have a Mac II with colour graphics, and 4 Meg of main memory.
 >     We would like to get an Ethernet board for it.  We do not know
 >     any distributors of Ethernet boards for Macs.  Any suggestions?

Apple and Kinetics both sell Mac II Ethernet cards. There may be some others
as well.  Side note: the Kinetics board has far fewer problems than the Apple
board (!).

 >     We would also like to get X Windows for the Mac.  Would the
 >     generic X Windows from MIT do?  What do you think?  Is there
 >     any distributor of X Windows especially for the Mac?

Once again, Apple has a version of X11r3 with a color server, as well as
improved performance.  The MIT release tape does have an X server for A/UX,
but:

        1) It will take around 1 full day (!) to compile, depending on disk
           access speed (i.e. local disk vs. nfs, etc.)

        2) You must build a public domain cpp(1) (included on the MIT tape)
           to build X, as the standard A/UX cpp can't handle X's complexity

        3) The MIT A/UX server is somewhat slow and is black and white only.

 >     We would like to connect the Mac on the Ethernet, to access our
 >     Suns.  Ethernet board and X Windows enough for the job?  Opinions?

For doing things from A/UX, an Ethernet card should do just fine; only get X if
you need the windowing capabilities (of course, what good is a "workstation"
without windows...)

| ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com                     |   William Kucharski     |
| UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk  |   Amdahl Corporation    |
| Saying: "It's a window system named X, NOT a system named 'X Windows'"      |
| Disclaimer:  "The opinions expressed above may not agree with mine at any   |
|              other moment in time, so they certainly can't be those of my   |
|              employer."                                                     |
************************************************************************ 2
z kucharsk amdahl  9/07/89
'William Kucharski   CANTIN@nrcvm01       9/07/89*X windows for Mac II, PC; Ethe
************************************************************************ 17
Date: 7 Sep 89 00:57:01 EDT (Thu)
From: rylos!dave@rutgers.edu (David Mutterer)

I use a pc on my desk at work to access all of the suns on our network..
if you look for software from Sun (Sun PCNFS) or FTP (FTP TCPIP) they
both support telnets and rlogins..  and a whole variety of different features,
and I am just about to order a PC based X11 display server which will let my
PC/DOS machine act as an X11 display server .. talking to clients on the
Suns... if you'd like more info.. just let me know and I'll get the info from
my files and send it to you...

						- David Mutterer
						{rutgers!}rylos!dave

z rylos!da rutgers  9/07/89
'David Mutterer      CANTIN@nrcvm01       9/07/89*X windows for Mac II, PC; Ethe
************************************************************************ 8
Date: 6 Sep 89 20:15:00 MDT
From: "2612 Clever, John J." <jjcleve@sandia.gov>

Both apple and Kinetics make Ethernet boards for Mac II.

z jjcleve sandia  9/07/89
'2612 Clever, John J cantin               9/06/89*X windows for Mac II, PC; Ethe
************************************************************************ 22
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 89 10:43:30 EDT
From: fks@ky.ftp.com (Frances Selkirk)
Subject: TCP/IP
Cc: fks@ky.ftp.com

Our PC/TCP Plus is a full TCP/IP implementation (Telnet, rlogin, and
the other Berkley r-functions, clients and servers for ftp, tfp, smtp,
terminal emulators, etc.) that runs on over 20 cards. It also has
InterDrive, an NFS implementation, which will allow you to mount a
Sun NFS server and use it as a virtual drive.  This software is
compatible with Graphic Software Systems' X-Windows package, and
will also run on Hewlett-Packard's when that is released. Please
send your postal address to recieve more information.

regards,

frances selkirk

P.S.: GSS is at  (503) 641-2200.
z fks ky  9/07/89
'Frances Selkirk     cantin@nrcvm01       9/07/89 TCP/IP
************************************************************************ 41
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 89 13:33:41 EDT
From: anthony zador <zador-anthony@YALECS>
          via WIMP-MAIL (Version 1.3/1.5) ; Thu Sep  7 13:33:39

I would be interested in finding out what you find out. We have been
considering TOPS as the option. TOPS is a division of Sun. They sell
2 options for networking, using either ethernet or Appletalk.

1. Ethernet.
   Each Mac needs an
        ethernet board $500
        Tops Mac       $150
        Connectors     $25

  The sun needs TOPS Sun  $800

2. Appletalk
   Instead of the $500 ethernet board, you need a $2300 "Kinetics
    Fastpath" board to convert Appletalk to ethernet. But then, you
    dont need additional board for each Mac.
   Otherwise, the Software is the same.

The prices listed assume a substantial educational discount.

We are also planning to try to get X for the macs, but havent looked
into it yet.

If you find other options, or get any other info, i would appreciate
hearing about it

Thank you,
Tony Zador

zador@nebula.sun3.cs.yale.edu
zador@yalevms.BITNET

z DAEMON YALECS  9/07/89
'anthony zador       CANTIN@NRCVM01       9/07/89*X windows for Mac II, PC; Ethe
************************************************************************ 12
Date: Fri,  8 Sep 89 08:20:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Allen Weinstein <dw1p+@andrew.cmu.edu>

claude,

there is a company named Pittsburgh Powercomputing that has an
X-Windows product that works on PCs. Their phone number is (800) 326-4025.

-dw
z dw1p+ andrew  9/08/89
'David Allen Weinste claude cantin        9/08/89*X windows for Mac II, PC; Ethe
************************************************************************ 26
From: var@iris.brown.edu (Victor A. Riley)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1989 10:49:02 EDT

Try talking to your Apple representative.  Not only do they have
ethernet cards, but they also have MacX (X Windows System for
the MacII).  Another useful tool is MacTCP along with NCSA Telnet
[the one that supports MacTCP].  Once you have those tools, you can
connect to any machine using telnet/ftp on your local network.

In our setup, we can access disks on our Sun machines from MacOS,
read news off a remote machine using MacTCP and netnews reader,
ftp or telnet to any machine in the network, hookup serial lines
to any machine using MacTerminal, and get login windows to any machine
using telnet.  Under MacOS one doesn't need the X Windows System
to manage the windows.  Under A/UX, however, there is only term
to get multiple windows.  Under A/UX is where the X Windows System
is most useful.  By the way, MacX runs under A/UX and MacOS, on
both monochrome, or color displays.

    I hope this helps.

    Victor Riley
z var iris  9/08/89
'Victor A. Riley     claude cantin        9/08/89*X windows for Mac II, PC; Ethe
************************************************************************ 31
From: drutx!vqh@att.att.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 09:03 MDT

CANTIN@NRCVM01.BITNET (claude cantin):

>   2. We also have a 286 PC (with 640K, but we will purchase whatever
>      memory is necessary).  We would also like to get an Ethernet card
>      for it.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Do the card come with
>      software that supports TCP/IP (telnet, rlogins, mail, etc.) ?
>      We would like to be able to use
>      the PC to access our Suns (as if logged on to the Sun).  Which means
>      we need X Windows for PC's.  Where can we find out more about
>      X Windows for PC's?  Suggestions?  Opinions?
>
>      What is the minimum memory requirement for running X Windows on
>      a PC?

Here's the quote I got from Transparent Technology (213-568-3376, it's
a distributor for Locus software.)
 Xsight (X server) including some Ethernet drivers & TCP/IP & Telnet $395
 WD8003 Ethernet card *254
 Paradise VGA Plus 16 card $353
 Logitech C7 mouse $78

They seem to support most of the usual video cards & Ethernet cards.

V. Hoang
vqh@dwx3bn.att.com
z drutx!vq att  9/11/89
'drutx!vqh@att.att.c CANTIN@NRCVM01       9/11/89*X windows for Mac II, PC; Ethe
************************************************************************ 32
From: drutx!vqh@att.att.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 09:03 MDT
To: @cunyvm.cuny.edu:CANTIN@NRCVM01.BITNET

************************************************************************ 25
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 89 13:33:58 MDT
From: mike@spock.UCAR.EDU (Mike Daniels)
Subject: Ethernet stuff for PCs

Hi.  I noticed from your message in "comp.windows.x" that you are interested in
Ethernet for IBM PCs.  I have a Western Digital ethercard plus, PC/TCP software
(which includes rlogin, telnet, ftp, etc.) from FTP Software, Inc. and PC-Xview
from Graphic Software Systems.  My hardware includes a Compaq Deskpro 286,
640K, Logitech mouse, 1Mb extended memory (not necessary for PC-Xview, but
helps), 40Mb drive, VGA card and monitor.  PC-Xview requires at least EGA.
With this configuration, I am able to use my PC as an X workstation connected
to a Sun and/or Masscomp running X.  So far, it works reasonably well, although
PC-Xview doesn't utilize memory well enough for me to display X bitmaps on my
PC.  A new product, which I'm told will be available in October, can use 16 Mb
of extended memory in a PC and should help the bitmap problem.  I think the
salesman called it PC-Xview/16... There is another package available called
"PC-Xsight" which already offers this feature, it's from Locus Computing
(213) 670-6500.  I have yet to find out if anyone out there knows of the other
difference in these packages.  Oh, BTW, Graphic Software systems phone is
(503) 641-2200.  My Ethernet card cost $250.00 and the FTP software and
PC-Xview are $400.00.  Hope this info helps!

Mike Daniels, System Administrator, NCAR, Boulder, CO
z mike spock  9/11/89
'Mike Daniels        cantin@nrcvm01       9/11/89 Ethernet stuff for PCs
************************************************************************ 30
Date: 12 Sep 89 21:10:09 GMT
From: visdc!jiii@uunet.uu.net  (John E Van Deusen III)

In article <8909062001.AA01714@expo.lcs.mit.edu> CANTIN@NRCVM01.BITNET
(claude cantin) writes:
>     Where can we find out more about X Windows for PC's?
>
>             Claude Cantin (CANTIN@NRCVM01.BITNET)

The software necessary to make an X-terminal out of a PC is available
from:
	Transparent Technology
	National LOCUS Distributor
	5757 W Century Blvd., Suite 700-104
	Los Angeles, California  90045
	Tel (213) 568-3376  Fax (213) 641-3434

The software costs $495.  You need a PC with 640K bytes of RAM running
MS DOS 3.1 or higher, and 720K bytes of free disk space.  You also need
a graphics video card, an ethernet card, and a mouse.

I haven't used this software, so I con't give any recommendation.
--
John E Van Deusen III, PO Box 9283, Boise, ID  83707, (208) 343-1865

uunet!visdc!jiii
z xpert-re expo  9/13/89
'John E Van Deusen I xpert@expo.lcs.mit.  9/12/89*X windows for Mac II, PC; Ethe