[comp.windows.x] xman fails to get all the pages

tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom Olin) (09/21/89)

Environment =	Sun-4/150, SunOS 4.0.3, X11R3

When xman loads the directory for section 3, which contains nearly 1200
entries, it gets only about 800.  After checking man.c and defs.h, it looked
like the problem was with MAXENTRY:

#ifdef sun
#define MAXENTRY 2000		/* The maximum number of entries in one
				   section, on a sun. */
#else
#define MAXENTRY 800		/* The maximum number of entries in one
				   section, on other machines. */
#endif

I rebuilt xman with -Dsun, but the problem persists.  Any ideas?
--

 -=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Tom Olin				...!uunet!adiron!tro

kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (09/21/89)

In article <420@adiron.UUCP> tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom Olin) writes:
 >Environment =	Sun-4/150, SunOS 4.0.3, X11R3
 >
 >When xman loads the directory for section 3, which contains nearly 1200
 >entries, it gets only about 800.  After checking man.c and defs.h, it looked
 >like the problem was with MAXENTRY:

[section of xman/defs.h deleted]

Actually, this isn't the problem.  If it were, you'd get the strange and
wonderful message:

"Too many manual pages in section 3 recompile with a larger value for MAXENTRY"

Unless someone has modified your version of xman, I'd check elsewhere.
| ARPA:	kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com			    |	William Kucharski     |
| UUCP:	...!{ames,apple,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk  |	Amdahl Corporation    |
| Saying: "It's a window system named 'X,' NOT a system named 'X Windows'"    |
| Disclaimer:  "The opinions expressed above may not agree with mine at any   |
|              other moment in time, so they certainly can't be those of my   |
|              employer."						      |

brsmith@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Brian R. Smith) (09/22/89)

kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) writes:

>In article <420@adiron.UUCP> tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom Olin) writes:
> >Environment =	Sun-4/150, SunOS 4.0.3, X11R3
> >
> >When xman loads the directory for section 3, which contains nearly 1200
> >entries, it gets only about 800.  After checking man.c and defs.h, it looked
> >like the problem was with MAXENTRY:
> >
>[section of xman/defs.h deleted]

>Actually, this isn't the problem.  If it were, you'd get the strange and
>wonderful message:

>"Too many manual pages in section 3 recompile with a larger value for MAXENTRY"

I'd noticed something like that while using xman; the last (third)
column of entries would not appear unless the window was re-sized a
couple of pixels wider.  I've got xman set to display the man page
names top-bottom, left-right, rather than the default, so it was
obvious that the man pages from (say) t-z were missing.  With
the default, you'd lose every third man page, which might not
be noticed right away.

I suspect that one of them thar widget thangs is broke, but I don't
have the cleverness (or gumption) to dig it up and try to fix it.

Brian

kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (09/22/89)

> I'd noticed something like that while using xman; the last (third)
> column of entries would not appear unless the window was re-sized a
> couple of pixels wider.

This problem did exist for a while in my code before R3, I had thought that I
fixed it, but perhaps it still persists.  I have made billions and billions of
changes to xman and the Athena Widgets since R3, and haven't noticed this
problem on any of out machines around here, so I suspect that it has gone away.

> I suspect that one of them thar widget thangs is broke, but I don't
> have the cleverness (or gumption) to dig it up and try to fix it.

If I remember correctly the problem was poor interaction between the List widget
and the VPaned widget.  It is probabally best just to wait for R4 when this
problem should magically go away. (I hope :-)  If anyone can nail down exactly
what is causing the problem I can give a more definite answer.

						Chris D. Peterson
						MIT X Consortium

Net:	 kit@expo.lcs.mit.edu
Phone:   (617) 253 - 9608
Address: MIT - Room NE43-213

tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom Olin) (09/22/89)

I ran dbx on xman and discovered the real problem.  xman does indeed get all of
the pages (1198 of them for section 3, where I was noticing the problem).  The
directory shows 2 columns.  At the bottom, the list stops in the n's.  The list
shows approximately 800 entries.  BUT...

The REAL problem is that the "missing" entries are simply not being displayed
if I use the default pagesize.  If I resize the page (either vertically or
horizontally) by some amount (more than a few pixels, but apparently not too
many needed), then the directory does list all of the entries.
--