[comp.windows.x] Specifing room to place application in

janssen@holmes (Bill Janssen) (09/23/89)

In article <17527@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, davidh@dent (David S. Harrison) writes:
>> Isn't there any (non-standard) way to do this? If not, why is this so?
>> Are there any reasons why the user shouldn't give such information to the
>> window manager?
>
>Maybe I am missing something here but this doesn't seem to be
>
>1. Have the window manager read a profile.  GWM uses this approach.
>   Clients are specified by their class name (the standard
>   WM_CLASS property).
>
>2. Have the window manager read specifications from the resource
>   database.  Clients can be specified using the same mechanism
>   given above.
>
>I suspect the second approach is more general and avoids creating
>yet another startup file.

The problem with these approaches is that you often want to create
two xterms, one in each room, with identical WM_CLASS, WM_NAME, and
WM_COMMAND properties.  Sometimes, you want one application, xterm
or whatever, to have placements in two different rooms.  Static
profiles just don't work here.  This information has to be passed at
application invocation time.

I've found, though, that being able to pass the intended room is not
overly necessary, if suites are implemented properly.

Bill
--
 Bill Janssen        janssen.pa@xerox.com      (415) 494-4763
 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center