[comp.windows.x] NeXT browser simulation

zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) (09/22/89)

Has anybody managed to simulate the NeXT user interface (visually only--
I don't mean the libraries or anything that deep) on X11?

Are xbrowser and Browser anything along these lines? Could GWM be used
to simulate that kind of user interface?

Zach T. Smith (zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu)

erik@srava.sra.JUNET (Erik M. van der Poel) (09/23/89)

In article <AZ6Ob9O00WB2AE3UoB@andrew.cmu.edu> zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:

>Has anybody managed to simulate the NeXT user interface (visually only--
>I don't mean the libraries or anything that deep) on X11?

You might like to take a look at the directory browser that I posted to
comp.sources.x some time ago. Get these from your favorite archive site:

v04i014  xdir/part01    xdir -- Directory Browser, Part01/02
v04i015  xdir/part02    xdir -- Directory Browser, Part02/02
v04i097  xdir/patch1    xdir, Patch1

This directory browser is similar to NeXT's in the sense that there are several
lists, you click on directories to open them, scroll up and down the path, etc.

However, in xdir the text widget for entering filenames through the keyboard is
always there, and the text widget and directory listings are kept in sync.
Also, possible filename completions are indicated in the listings.

A few minor changes in xdir could make it execute programs by clicking on
filenames, etc.

--
Erik M. van der Poel                  erik@sra.junet             (Japan)
SRA, 1-1-1 Hirakawa-cho, Chiyoda-ku   erik%sra.junet@uunet.uu.net  (USA)