[comp.windows.x] comp.windows.x is too much for me

paquin@kahua.esd.sgi.com (Tom Paquin) (09/22/89)

everything in here, but I couldn't post because my employer didn't
like that kind of thing (Very Large Blue company).  Now I am in a
position to activiely participate, but I am overwhelmed by the
amount of stuff in comp.windows.x that I don't care about.  Is it
time for .servers .sun .toolkits .protocol .lib .motif .video .input
.zbuff .doublebuff .extensions .whatever?  Face it, X has grown up.
(Thanks Bob, Jim, Keith, et al.)

I am not suggesting this particular list, but the current situation is
(for me, at least) a pain.
With more focused topics, I would have an easier time contributing.

Opinions are mine, not SGI's
| Those who sacrifice freedom for security soon find that	|
| they have neither.	-Benjamin Franklin			|
| Tom Paquin                              paquin@sgi.com	|
| Silicon Graphics Computer Systems       415-335-1438		|
| Mountain View, CA 94039					|

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (09/23/89)

In article <647@odin.SGI.COM>, paquin@kahua.esd.sgi.com (Tom Paquin) writes:
>  I am overwhelmed by the
> amount of stuff in comp.windows.x that I don't care about.  Is it
> time for .servers .sun .toolkits .protocol .lib .motif .video .input
> .zbuff .doublebuff .extensions .whatever?

This point has come up several times in the past, but, for better or
worse, many people are reading comp.windows.x as a mailing list
(xpert).  Splitting one without splitting the other would be useless
and splitting a mailing list is more work than anyone is interested in
doing.

I'd suggest that you get a better news reader so that you can more
scan handle a large newsgroup.  I use xrn (contact ellen@ic.berkeley.edu
or ricks@berkeley.edu) which works wonderfully.  It does require X,
but this is a X group afterall.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

paquin@kahua.wpd.sgi.com (Tom Paquin) (09/23/89)

.
> I'd suggest that you get a better news reader so that you can more
> scan handle a large newsgroup.  I use xrn (contact ellen@ic.berkeley.edu
> or ricks@berkeley.edu) which works wonderfully.  It does require X,
> but this is a X group afterall.

I use xrn.  That makes the noise more manageable, but it does not
alter the state of comp.windows.x

Opinions are mine, not SGI's
| Those who sacrifice freedom for security soon find that	|
| they have neither.	-Benjamin Franklin			|
| Tom Paquin                              paquin@sgi.com	|
| Silicon Graphics Computer Systems       415-335-1438		|
| Mountain View, CA 94039					|

lpj@hpctdlu.HP.COM (Laura Johnson) (09/26/89)

Me too.