[comp.windows.x] HP's 3D UI style

sjs@spectral.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) (09/25/89)

I am rather impressed by the visual impact of HP's 3D UI style.
Apparently, HP claims a copyright on this look.  This raises a number
of questions:

1) Exactly what rights does HP reserve regarding the use of the style?

2) Does a user of HP's libraries have any obligation to uphold the
"spirit" of the look.

3) Can a user define new 3D widgets (e.g. a bar-graph widget), and if
so what claim does HP have on the new widget or any applications that
the user builds using those widgets?

4) Suppose that someone developed a set of widgets for a different
windowing system that were quite similar to HP's in general look and
feel?  Suppose he put them in the public domain?

5) How does HP feel about the NeXT look and feel?  Likewise, how does
NeXT feel about HP's 3D widgets?  They look pretty similar to me.

Post or mail your opinions, as you prefer.  If you feel you can make
any authoritative statements, however, please mail them to me.

Stan Switzer  sjs@bellcore.com

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (09/26/89)

    5) How does HP feel about the NeXT look and feel?  Likewise, how does
    NeXT feel about HP's 3D widgets?  They look pretty similar to me.

And to add fuel to the fire, neither HP nor NeXT were the first to use a 3d
appearance, even under X.  There have been products from several vendors in
the Mechanical CAD/CAE markets that have been using 3d icons, menus, etc. for
several years.

							Jim

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (09/27/89)

In article <17707@bellcore.bellcore.com> sjs@bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:
>I am rather impressed by the visual impact of HP's 3D UI style.
>Apparently, HP claims a copyright on this look.  This raises a number
>of questions:

                                                                             If
If HP is going to claim a copyright on the 3D look, I am REALLY interested   in
in details. In particular because my company has been using this 3D look     (sh
(shaded buttons etc) in it's product line for at least 5 years now.          How
How can you copyright something that has been used for a LONG time           by
by someone else ?                                                            (by
(by the way, our S5000 and S7000 DO have a Copyright ... but I doubt          we
 we ever considered suing OSF/Motif or HP...)

[opinions expressed here are solely of my own and DO NOT represent
 official position of Auto-trol Technology Corporation ]

Martin Brunecky, Auto-trol Technology Corporation,
12500 North Washington Street, Denver, CO-80241-2404
(303) 252-2499                                        ncar!ico!auto-trol!marbru