[comp.windows.x] Copyright Madness

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (09/26/89)

To quote from the standard MIT-distributed X11 copyright:

|Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
|documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
|provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
|both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
|supporting documentation, and that the names of Digital or MIT not be
|used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
|software witt specific, written prior permission.

So, technically, does this mean we have to quote this thing when we
include code fragments as I did in my posting about XSendEvent()?
While I realize that this sort of thing isn't in the spirit of X as
I understand the intentions of its authors and the X Consortium (1),
in light of the recent spate of territorial claimjumping suits in the
software (and specifically the visual interface & related code) world,
how does this DIGITAL copyright enter into things?

Perhaps to save net.bandwidth from lawsuit.paranoia, we could get
a clarification added, along the lines of the book copyrights which
say something like, ..."except that brief excerpts may be used as
examples or in reviews...". Or am I just being excessively paranoid?
I must admit, I do NOT trust most corporate lawyers these days (in terms
of being rational).

Notes:
1) It's a group named the X Consortium,
   not a consortium group named X.      8^)

-Miles

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (09/27/89)

    So, technically, does this mean we have to quote this thing when we
    include code fragments as I did in my posting about XSendEvent()?

No.

    "except that brief excerpts may be used as examples or in reviews..."

The hassle value in changing notices makes this unappealing.

    Or am I just being excessively paranoid?

I suppose it would have depended on how the previous question got answered. :-)

barmar@kulla (Barry Margolin) (09/27/89)

In article <7042@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>Perhaps to save net.bandwidth from lawsuit.paranoia, we could get
>a clarification added, along the lines of the book copyrights which
>say something like, ..."except that brief excerpts may be used as
>examples or in reviews...". Or am I just being excessively paranoid?

I believe that the US copyright laws already specify that brief
excerpts may be used for just such purposes, without violating
copyrights.  They probably don't rigorously define "brief excerpt",
though; if it came to court, it would probably be the judge's
decision.  Another exception is that teachers are permitted to make a
small number of copies for educational use.
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar