[comp.windows.x] looking for digitized maps

travis@douglass.columbia.edu (Travis Lee Winfrey) (09/27/89)

out of simple curiosity, I'm looking for bitmaps that represent real
maps: world, country, city maps.  Does anyone know of any?

Please respond to me, and I will summarize to the net.

Arpa:	travis@cs.columbia.edu	Usenet: rutgers!columbia!travis

alan@APPLE.COM (Alan Mimms) (09/28/89)

>From: douglass!travis@columbia.edu  (Travis Lee Winfrey)
>
>out of simple curiosity, I'm looking for bitmaps that represent real
>maps: world, country, city maps.  Does anyone know of any?
>
>Please respond to me, and I will summarize to the net.

>Arpa:	travis@cs.columbia.edu	Usenet: rutgers!columbia!travis

You can get information like what you're requesting from the US Geological
Survey.

They have maps in digital form, including topological, hydrographic, and
transportation overlays.

Write to
	National Cartographic Information Center
	U.S. Geological Survey
	507 National Center
	Reston, VA   22092

and ask for "Digital data, catalog and price list".

Hope this helps.