[comp.windows.x] X-windows on IBM AT under DOS?

joergp@gmdzi.UUCP (Joerg Prust) (09/20/89)

We are developing a transputer based neural network
simulator on an IBM-AT and a MACII.
In order to create the same user-interface on both machines,
we are looking for X-Server/Terminal-Software which is running
under DOS (like PC-Xview or PC-Xsight).

- Does anyone know about such systems for the IBM
- Does anyone have experience with PC-Xview or PC-Xsight?
- Has anyone tried to use OSF/motif on a PC?
- What are the memory requirements to run Xlib on a PC?
- Is it recommended to drop DOS and switch the AT to UNIX?

Thanks in advance

joergp@gmdzi.uucp

Joerg Prust
Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung
Schloss Birlinghoven
F3-XPS
Postfach 1240
D-5205 Sankt Augustin 1

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (09/23/89)

In article <1291@gmdzi.UUCP>, joergp@gmdzi.UUCP (Joerg Prust) writes:
> we are looking for X-Server/Terminal-Software which is running
> under DOS (like PC-Xview or PC-Xsight).
>
> - Does anyone know about such systems for the IBM

PC-Xsight was developed by Locus Computing, PC-Xview by Graphic
Software Systems.  In addition, HP has a high-end product named AX/DS.
The GSS product runs on EGAs and VGAs, the AX/DS has its own display
controller and wants a 1024x768 tube.  We have both AX/DS and Xview
in-house for testing because they run on our transport layer, and they
seem quite reasonable.  The AX/DS leaves lots of room in normal DOS
memory, because much of its code runs on the display adapter.  GSS
requires a 640K machine (and uses EMS or expanded memory if available).

--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/26/89)

> PC-Xsight was developed by Locus Computing, PC-Xview by Graphic
> Software Systems.  In addition, HP has a high-end product named AX/DS.
> The GSS product runs on EGAs and VGAs, the AX/DS has its own display
> controller and wants a 1024x768 tube.  We have both AX/DS and Xview
> in-house for testing because they run on our transport layer, and they
> seem quite reasonable.  The AX/DS leaves lots of room in normal DOS
> memory, because much of its code runs on the display adapter.  GSS
> requires a 640K machine (and uses EMS or expanded memory if available).
>
> --
> James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
> FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901
> ----------

I am also looking for X11 on IBM PC.

Can I have info on the prices of these software (esp. PC-Xsight and
PC-Xview) and where can I obtain their reviews ? I won't bother about
the AX/DS 'cos I don't have no special graphics card.

Regards,
Peter Lim, ICDS, ICS, HP-Singapore.

gaf@uucs1.UUCP (gaf) (09/29/89)

Not to be forgotten is a product by Integrated Inference Machines (IIM)
called X11/AT.  It's unique feature is that it runs on top of Microsoft
Windows, which means you can use a very wide variety of graphics cards
(any which comes with a MS Windows driver, which is about all of them).
X on a 640x480 monitor isn't very pretty or useful.

You can also run the X server alongside other MS Windows clients, unlike
other X-for-DOS servers which take over the whole machine.

Price is about $400 and works with either smart or dumb Ethernet cards.

Their address & phone:
Integrated Inference Machines
1468 E. Katella Ave
Anaheim, CA  92805
(714) 978-6776
--
Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.