[comp.windows.x] HP widgets and wm's

bmc@MYCROFT.MAYO.EDU (09/27/89)

I have two requests to for the net:

1) Are the HP widgets available via FTP, if so where can I get them? I am trying
   to build xwebster on a DECstation 3100 (ultrix 3.1) and need the HP widget
   set for xwebster.

2) A recent project has spawned the need for me to learn more (possibly
   write) about window managers. Any suggestions as to appropriate sources?
   I really would like to find something like "Everything you always wanted to
   know ..." or "How to write WM's 101".

Many thanks in advance.
--Bruce

Bruce M. Cameron                    bmc@bru.mayo.edu
Medical Sciences 1-14               (507) 284-3288
Mayo Foundation                     WD9CKW
Rochester, MN 55905

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (09/27/89)

> 1) Are the HP widgets available via FTP, if so where can I get them? I am trying
>    to build xwebster on a DECstation 3100 (ultrix 3.1) and need the HP widget
>    set for xwebster.

You can get xwebster 1.1 and the x11r3 HP widgets via anonymous ftp
from expo.lcs.mit.edu. In directory contrib, you'll see:

	-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp         42782 Mar  6  1989 xwebster.tar.Z
	-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp       1546978 Jun 30 23:02 Xhp.R3.tar.Z

I have no idea whether xwebster/Xhp.R3 works on the DECstation 3100. If you
want to give me one of these puppies as a home machine, I'll check it out
for you.... heck, I'll even port, enhance, and maintain it! :-)

> 2) A recent project has spawned the need for me to learn more (possibly
>    write) about window managers. Any suggestions as to appropriate sources?
>    I really would like to find something like "Everything you always wanted to
>    know ..." or "How to write WM's 101".

Documentation: the famed and fabled ICCCM. It certainly ain't a how-to
guide.

Implementations: Take a look at gwm, also in expo.lcs.mit.edu's contrib
directory. It's "the gnuemacs of window managers" and uses a mini-lisp
customization language. Customizing this may keep you from having to write
your own, thereby preserving your sanity.

I don't use gwm, but that's because I need to use the motif window
manager... it's the only one ICCCM compliant-enough to work with the Motif
toolkit.

PS: please don't ask me about getting the xwebster server.

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.
				   *

jstravis@athena.mit.edu (John S. Travis) (09/28/89)

In article <4039@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> mayer@hplabs.hp.com (Niels Mayer) writes:
>> 1) Are the HP widgets available via FTP, if so where can I get them? I am trying
>>    to build xwebster on a DECstation 3100 (ultrix 3.1) and need the HP widget
>>    set for xwebster.
>
>You can get xwebster 1.1 and the x11r3 HP widgets via anonymous ftp
>from expo.lcs.mit.edu. In directory contrib, you'll see:
>
>	-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp         42782 Mar  6  1989 xwebster.tar.Z
>	-rw-rw-rw-  1 ftp       1546978 Jun 30 23:02 Xhp.R3.tar.Z
>
>I have no idea whether xwebster/Xhp.R3 works on the DECstation 3100. If you
>want to give me one of these puppies as a home machine, I'll check it out
>for you.... heck, I'll even port, enhance, and maintain it! :-)

forgive me for this novice question, but where do i go (or what do
I do) to learn how to ftp the Xhp. I assume i set to binary mode
and do a simple get. Then what? I know tar.Z. are ways the files
are compressed, but how do i get them in normal file/directory
form. Thanks for any help and e-mail answers are preferred since
this has probbaly already been said onthe net.

john travis
jstravi@athena.mit.edu

bmc@MYCROFT.MAYO.EDU (09/28/89)

The ".Z" means that the files were compressed useing ... compress,
so to uncompress them use ... uncompress.

     e.g.: uncompress Xhp.R3.tar.Z

This will leave you with a ".tar" file. The individual elements may be extracted
by using tar.

     e.g.: tar xvf Xhp.tar

Once this command is finished, all the files necessary for Xhp will be in
your directory.

bruce@servio.UUCP (Bruce Schuchardt) (09/29/89)

In article <4039@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> mayer@hplabs.hp.com (Niels Mayer) writes:
>I have no idea whether xwebster/Xhp.R3 works on the DECstation 3100. If you
>want to give me one of these puppies as a home machine, I'll check it out
>for you.... heck, I'll even port, enhance, and maintain it! :-)

The HP widgets work fine on the DECStation.  The test programs provided
don't work well with dxwm.  You can get them to do so if you muck around
with WMHints.  Use uwm if you don't want to do this.

When using the HP widgets, I got lots of version errors.  The IntrinsicP.h
file shipped with DECWindows has version 7001, but their compiled widgets
have version 11003.  You can get rid of this error by patching
IntrinsicP.h to have 11003 before compiling the HP widgets.

  Bruce Schuchardt          Ph: (503) 629-8383
  Servio Logic              bruce@servio.SLC.COM
  Beaverton, OR             uunet!servio!bruce