[net.news] Why Did I Receive This

chip@t4test.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (04/21/84)

I'm trying to understand how a recently received article got to
our machine.  As expected, it ended up in junk.  The header is
as follows:

--
Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{pur-ee|hplabs|ucbvax!amd70|ogcvax!omsvax}!intelca!t4test!{chip|news}

ka@hou3c.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist) (05/03/84)

This is in response to a question about an article including the
header lines:
	Newsgroups: or.general,net.gdead

Probably what happenned is this.  For some reason the group net.gdead
appeared on the machine metheus, thus Howard was able to post to it even
though it is not a valid group.  Since the newsgroup line contained
or.general, inews on the other machines in oregon ignored the net.gdead
on the newsgroup line and happily distributed the article.  When it
intelca, inews decided to send the article to t4test because t4test
subscribes to net.all.  Of course inews previously observered that
net.gdead was an invalid group, but inews apparently doesn't consider
the validity of groups when deciding whether to forward articles.
				Kenneth Almquist

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (05/04/84)

  We also received the article, but it showed up in "junk".
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!stcvax | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!stcvax}
       		        !hao!woods