[comp.windows.x] storing images efficiently

jstravis@athena.mit.edu (John S. Travis) (09/26/89)

  I need a device-independent method for storing images at high resolution.
Various formats i have heard of are DDIF(Digital document Interface
Format) and X11. I asked this awhile ago and got little responnse. Is
this the way to go, if i want to move images between different
screens, devices(printers), and workstations. What exactly is the X11
format?(the output from xwd???) and is there a format that is
considered the standard.

Background: I have a program that will have map images and contour
plots overlayed on them. I want then at the highest resolution both
on the screen and when printed.

Thanks for any help

john ttavis
jstravis@athena.mit.edu

dawson@apollo.HP.COM (Keith Dawson) (10/02/89)

In a recent article jstravis@athena.mit.edu (John S. Travis) writes:

 > I need a device-independent method for storing images at high resolution.
 > Background: I have a program that will have map images and contour
 > plots overlayed on them. I want then at the highest resolution both
 > on the screen and when printed.

Not device-independent (yet), but perhaps of interest to this newsgroup...

A new company called EFI (Electronics for Imaging) was formed by some
of the principals of Scitex, Adobe, et al.; they have announced a
product that does on-the-fly compression/decompression of images. The
method used (Adaptive Discrete Cosine Transform) can achieve compres-
sions of 10x to about 50x. The user specifies a desired quality level,
and the algorithm compresses an image by the maximum amount that will
still preserve the requested quality.

See the Seybold Report on Publishing Systems, Vol. 19 No. 1 (Sept. 11,
1989) for an introduction to the EFI technology, including four quite
amazing pages of sample color images. EFI is at 950 Elm Ave., San Bruno,
CA 94066 (415-742-3400).
Keith Dawson  Hewlett Packard Co.         508-256-0176 x5739   are my own.
              Graphics Technology Division / East
              300 Apollo Dr.  (CHR.03.DE)
              Chelmsford, MA  01824                      USA   My convictions
              Internet: dawson@apollo.hp.com                   are not for
              UUCP: {mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!dawson   public display.