[comp.windows.x] HP Widget Set

widgets%hpcvlx@HPLABS.HP.COM (05/04/88)

Here is the announcement of the HP Widget Set:

        Hewlett-Packard is making available through MIT a preliminary version
        of the HP X Widget set to be donated for release on the R3 tape later
        this year. This preliminary distribution is accompanied by an early
        release of the HP X Widget manual and man pages.

        Please recognize that both the documentation and the widgets are
        preliminary releases; we have performed some QA, but undoubtedly
        problems still exist. If you encounter one, or have other comments,
        please let us know via the address listed below.

        These widgets reflect ongoing visual design that gives widgets a
        3D appearance. In implementing a 3D visual representation we have
        attempted to emulate real world interactive devices such as buttons
        and sliders, rather than an arbitrary proprietary representation.

        Sites that have access to Internet can obtain the HP X Widget
        distribution using binary, anonymous ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu
	(18.30.0.212) from the directory pub/Xhpw/.  The sizes and checksums
	of the files are:

		filename         bytes     checksum

		Xhpw.tar.Z.aa    524288    34513 512
		Xhpw.tar.Z.ab    235664    26992 231

	The files can be reassembled using the command:

		cat Xhpw.tar.Z.a[ab] | uncompress | tar xf -

	Unfortunately, the widget set is too big for the xstuff server, so
	people without Internet access will have to find a friend who does.

        The "doc" directory contains a README file explaining how to produce
        a printable copy of the reference manual.

        We are quite interested in feedback on this set of widgets, as it
        will be the basis for a core set of components being spec'ed and
        prototyped by the X Consortium. If you have suggestions, constructive
        criticism, bug reports, or other comments (including compliments!)
        please send them to the following email address:

                        widgets%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com

        We will respond to bug reports on a best efforts basis.

        This early distribution consists of the following widgets:

        Display
        -------
        Static Raster - display an application created image
        Static Text - Format and display text

        Editing
        -------
        Text Edit - single or multi-line text editor, with verification

        Selection
        ---------
        Push Button - rectangular button containing text
        Toggle - square or diamond button with adjacent text

        Layout
        ------
        Bulletin board - post widgets at absolute x,y coordinates
        Form - constraint layout manager
        Panel - menubar smart manager
        Row column manager - lay out widgets in specified number of columns
        Scrolled window - vertical and horizontal scrollbars
        Title bar - support arbitrary number of text and other widgets
        Vertical paned manager - vertically tile panes, allow user to resize

        Menus
        -----
        Pop up - post initial menu panes relative to cursor position
        Cascade - used with pop up menu to implement walking menus

        Utility
        -------
        Scroll bar - horizontal or vertical
        Valuator - used in scrollbar
        Arrow - used in scrollbar
        Sash - used in vertical paned manager

        The following widgets are not implemented in the preliminary release,
        although they are mentioned in the documentation and are planned for
        the R3 release:

                List manager widget - provide browser-like functionality
                Image edit widget - allow users to create/edit images

        Other functionality which does not exist in this preliminary release:

                ATTACH pseudo-op
                Keyboard traversal between widgets
                Widget classing
                Pull down menu - supported by architecture, but will not be
                                 provided in the public source distribution

ben@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Benjamin Ellsworth) (05/18/88)

> From davidh@dent.Berkeley.EDU Sat May 14 14:34:38 1988
>
> We have tried unsucessfully to make the manual included in the HP
> Widget Set distribution.  Although we have all of the necessary
> software,  there appears to be several HP Unix dependencies in the
> documentation makefiles.

Could you be more specific?  We'd like to remove as many of those as
possible.

> Some macros and sed files also seem to be missing.

Actually, the Makefiles have version-itis.  The next response is a
shell archive of the healed copies of the Makefiles.

> Anyway,
> is it possible to make a publically accessible Postscript version
> of the manual available?  This would save us (and many others I
> imagine) a lot of work.

Sadly, no.  The best that we can do for the short term is to make a
plaintext version (a la nroff terminal output) available somewhere.
Are there any takers?  Where would you like it put?

Please apprise us of any problems that you are having (you know who you
are ;-).  We want to make you folks successful.  Notification by mail
to:

	widgets%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com

or postings to this group are appropriate.

Keep those cards and letters coming!

		Benjamin Ellsworth
		Hewlett Packard
		ben%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com

ben@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Benjamin Ellsworth) (05/18/88)

# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line,
# then unpack it by saving it in a file and typing "sh file".
#
# Wrapped by ben at hpcvlx on Tue May 17 12:59:44 1988
#
# This archive contains:
#	doc/Xw/Makefile		doc/Xw/man3/Makefile
#

LANG=""; export LANG

echo x - doc/Xw/Makefile
cat >doc/Xw/Makefile <<'@EOF'
# HP Learning Products Department at CWO
# Makefile for HP Xwidgets V11R1 Documentation
#
PAGES=
SHELL=/bin/sh
RLP=screamer
# Remote system with eroff and laser printer
#BIN=./bin/
BIN=../bin/
MAN=man3
CAT=cat3
MSRC=../macros
SH=remsh $(RLP)
PREP=  pic | tbl
NPREP=  $(BIN)nopic | tbl -TX
MACRO=-mm
PTYPE= -Tlj+.2
TMACRO=$(MACRO) $(PTYPE)
RTROFF= troff
TROFF= eroff
NOROFF= troff $(MACRO) $(PTYPE) -o3- >/dev/null
NROFF= nroff
TMPIDX= conidx
RM=rm -f
CLEAN=$(RM) $(TMPIDX)

.SUFFIXES:
.SUFFIXES: .m .n .p .I .T .i .t .s

#
# Create spell check (.s) files from macro files (.m)
#
.m.s:
	spell +$(MSRC)/spell_list $< > $@

#
# Create table of contents files (.t) for troff from macro files (.m)
#
.m.T:
	$(BIN)soelim $< | $(PREP) | $(NOROFF) 2> $(TMPIDX)
	cat $(TMPIDX) | $(BIN)splitit -n $*
	$(CLEAN)
#
# Create index files (.i) for troff from macro files (.m)
#
.m.I:
	$(BIN)soelim $< | $(PREP) | $(NOROFF) 2> $(TMPIDX)
	cat $(TMPIDX) | $(BIN)splitit -n $*
	$(CLEAN)

#
# Create table of contents files (.u) for nroff from macro files (.m)
#
.m.t:
	$(BIN)soelim $< | $(NPREP) | $(NROFF) $(MACRO)  1>/dev/null 2> $(TMPIDX)
	cat $(TMPIDX) | $(BIN)splitit -a -n $*
	$(CLEAN)

#
# Create index files (.j) for nroff from macro files (.m)
#
.m.i:
	$(BIN)soelim $< | $(NPREP) | $(NROFF) $(MACRO) 1>/dev/null 2> $(TMPIDX)
	cat $(TMPIDX) | $(BIN)splitit  -a -n $*
	$(CLEAN)

#
# Create troff'd dif format chapter files from macro (.m) files
#
.m.p:
	$(BIN)soelim $< | $(PREP) | $(RTROFF) $(TMACRO) 2> /dev/null >$@

#
# Create troff'd chapter files from macro (.m) files
#
.m:
	$(BIN)soelim $< | $(PREP) | $(TROFF) $(TMACRO) 2> $(TMPIDX)
	cat $(TMPIDX) | $(BIN)splitit -n $*
	$(CLEAN)
	touch $@

#
# Create nroff'd chapter files (.n) from base (.m) files
#        (also create nroff index (.j) and contents (.u) files)
#
.m.n:
	$(BIN)soelim $< | $(NPREP) | $(NROFF) $(MACRO) > $@ 2> $(TMPIDX)
	cat $(TMPIDX) | $(BIN)splitit -a -n $*
	$(CLEAN)

FILES= 	ch01 ch02 ch03 ch04 ch05 ch06 ch07 appendixA cover
MFILES=	ch01.m ch02.m ch03.m ch04.m ch05.m ch06.m ch07.m appendixA.m cover.m
NFILES= ch01.n ch02.n ch03.n ch04.n ch05.n ch06.n ch07.n appendixA.n manpages.n
IFILES=	ch01.I ch02.I ch03.I ch04.I ch05.I ch06.I ch07.I appendixA.I
TFILES=	ch01.T ch02.T ch03.T ch04.T ch05.T ch06.T ch07.T appendixA.T
NTFILES=ch01.t ch02.t ch03.t ch04.t ch05.t ch06.t ch07.t appendixA.t
NIFILES=ch01.i ch02.i ch03.i ch04.i ch05.i ch06.i ch07.i appendixA.i
ANFILES= cover.n contents.n $(NFILES) index.n

all: paper manpages

base:	$(MFILES)

paper:	$(MFILES) $(FILES) index contents

paper.roff: $(MFILES) $(NFILES) contents.n index.n cover.n
	cat $(ANFILES) | col -x > $@

manpages: $(MAN)
	cd $(MAN);\
	$(MAKE) troffman "TROFF=$(TROFF) -man $(PTYPE)" "MSRC=`pwd`/$(MSRC)"

manpages.n: $(MAN)
	cd $(MAN); $(MAKE) catman "NROFF=$(NROFF) -man" "MSRC=`pwd`/$(MSRC)"
	cd $(CAT); $(RM) $@ ; for i in `cat pageorder`; do\
		cat $$i.3x >> $@ ;\
		done
	mv $(CAT)/$@ .

index:  $(MSRC)/index.head $(IFILES)
	$(BIN)preIsort $(IFILES) |\
	sort -u +2df +0d -1 +1n -2 |\
	$(BIN)postIsort |\
	$(BIN)premkindex |\
	$(BIN)mkindex | sed s/\\\\\\\\/\\\\e/g  >index
	$(TROFF) $(TMACRO) $(MSRC)/index.head index

contents: $(FILES) $(MSRC)/contents.head
	(tbl $(MSRC)/contents.head $(TFILES);\
	echo ".eC") | $(TROFF) $(TMACRO)
	touch $@

index.n:  $(MSRC)/index.head $(NIFILES)
	 $(BIN)preIsort $(NIFILES) |\
	 sort -u +2df +0d -1 +1n -2 |\
	 $(BIN)postIsort |\
	 $(BIN)premkindex |\
	 $(BIN)mkindex | sed s/\\\\\\\\/\\\\e/g  >index.tmp
	 cat  $(MSRC)/index.head index.tmp | $(NROFF) $(MACRO) | col -x > $@

contents.n: $(NTFILES) $(MSRC)/contents.head
	(tbl $(MSRC)/contents.head $(NTFILES);\
	 echo ".eC") | $(NROFF) $(MACRO) | col -x > $@

appendixA.m: appendixA.b $(MAN)
	cd $(MAN); $(MAKE) base
	(cd $(MAN); ./MakeManIdx `ls *.3x`) > appendix.tmp
	cat appendixA.b appendix.tmp | $(BIN)soelim -p $(MSRC) > $@
	rm appendix.tmp

clean::
	cd $(MAN); $(MAKE) clean
	$(RM) $(FILES) *.tmp contents index
	$(RM) *.[IiTtns]
@EOF

chmod 644 doc/Xw/Makefile

unpacker=/tmp/unpack$$ ; compile="y"
for uudecode in /bin/uudecode /usr/bin/uudecode /usr/local/bin/uudecode /usr/contrib/bin/uudecode /etc/uudecode /usr/public/bin/uudecode /usr/ucb/bin/uudecode
do if test -s $uudecode
   then unpacker=$uudecode ; compile="n" ; break
   fi
done
pwd=`pwd`; cd /tmp
if test $compile = "y"
then cat >$unpacker.c <<'EOF'
#include <stdio.h>
#define DEC(c)	(((c) - ' ') & 077)
main()
{
	int n;
	char dest[128], a,b,c,d;

	scanf("begin %o ", &n);
	gets(dest);

	if (freopen(dest, "w", stdout) == NULL) {
		perror(dest);
		exit(1);
	}

	while ((n=getchar()) != EOF && (n=DEC(n))!=0)  {
		while (n>0) {
			a = DEC(getchar());
			b = DEC(getchar());
			c = DEC(getchar());
			d = DEC(getchar());
			if (n-- > 0) putchar(a << 2 | b >> 4);
			if (n-- > 0) putchar(b << 4 | c >> 2);
			if (n-- > 0) putchar(c << 6 | d);
		}
		n=getchar();
	}
	exit(0);
}
EOF
echo Compiling unpacker for non-ascii files
cc -o $unpacker $unpacker.c 1>/dev/null 2>&1
rm $unpacker.c
fi
cd $pwd

echo x - doc/Xw/man3/Makefile '[non-ASCII]'
$unpacker <<'@eof'
begin 666 doc/Xw/man3/Makefile
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"*0H)

end
@eof

chmod 666 doc/Xw/man3/Makefile

rm -f /tmp/unpack$$
exit 0

stevet@athertn.atherton.COM (Steve Tom) (06/17/88)

Does anyone know how the latest HP widget set contributed to XV11R2 relates
to the HP Xray toolkit as well as HP's NewWave environment?

Thanks,

Steve Tom
Atherton Technology
1333 Bordeaux Drive
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
(408) 734-9822

{decwrl, sun, pyramid, hplabs!hpda}!athertn!stevet
stevet@atherton.com

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (06/25/89)

Is it still true that the HP widget set is still at V11R2? Is there
a version which runs under R3 (not using R2 libraries), or is
one expected?

Please send replies via e-mail.

Thanks.

-----------------------------
Alan Epstein
Meta Software Corp                   UUCP:  ...bbn!metasoft!alan
150 Cambridgepark Dr        Internet/ARPA:  alan%metasoft@bbn.com
Cambridge, MA 02140  USA
-----------------------------

pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli [dcs]) (06/27/89)

Hello all,

I've been reading this newsgroup diligently since I first saw mention of
the HP widget set.  I was wondering if someone has the information on where
to find ( read get ) this.  I have seen 3 requests for this information
but I have not yet seen a response.  ( even in the negative )

We had a 2.5 hour power failure here and it might have slipped by me due
to that, so I apologize if this request is redundant.

Paul F

Disclaimer:  Now that I'm at the end of this posting, having read it over
it seems my tone is a bit harsh, but I'm too lazy to rewrite it so I
will simply state that it was not originally meant that way.
            Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services
                        University of Waterloo
< pfratar@watshine.waterloo.edu >         < pfratar@watdcsu.waterloo.edu >

joel@dtscp1.UUCP (Joel Rives) (06/27/89)

At the risk of wasting precious net resources, let me answer this
question. The HP widget set was donated by HP to the X Consortium
shortly before the release of X11R2. This widget set is part of the
official "contrib" release for X11R2 and X11R3. The sources should be
available from any X11 archive site. If you have X11R2 or X11R3 sources
and you have the contrib stuff, then you already have the HP widget set.
Look under the contrib directory.

Note, however, that the XToolkit Intrinsics underwent some significant
revision between R2 and R3. This revision impacted upon widgets designed
and written for R2. As distributed in X11R3, the HP widget set does not
work properly. There is documentation that comes with the X11R3 release
detailing how to go about converting a widget from R2 to R3 version.
Also, i believe, someone has posted a set of patches that will upgrade
the HP widget set. This patch should also be available from any X11
archive site.

						Joel Rives

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (07/02/89)

In article <802@dtscp1.UUCP>, joel@dtscp1.UUCP (Joel Rives) writes:
> Also, i believe, someone has posted a set of patches that will upgrade
> the HP widget set. This patch should also be available from any X11
> archive site.

please say what the name of the patch is.

-----------------------------
Alan Epstein
Meta Software Corp                   UUCP:  ...bbn!metasoft!alan
150 Cambridgepark Dr        Internet/ARPA:  alan%metasoft@bbn.com
Cambridge, MA 02140  USA
-----------------------------

schuler@palantir.gsfc.nasa.gov (Larry Schuler - RMS) (10/07/89)

I have recently grabbed the HPw.R3 widget set from the  expo server,
compiled and installed these widgets on a Sun workstation.

My problem is their appearance. The manual shows nice 3-d widgets, however,
all the test programs I run show bland 2-d widgets.

Have I done something wrong? I notice that the date on the manual is from
November 88, does this mean that back when X11R2 was around, these widgets
were 3-d but not with X11R3 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
-Larry                                    "Fair is fair, Larry. ...
                                      We're out of food, we drew straws -

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (10/07/89)

In article <1989Oct6.212143.22868@palantir.gsfc.nasa.gov>,
schuler@palantir.gsfc.nasa.gov (Larry Schuler - RMS) writes:
> I have recently grabbed the HPw.R3 widget set from the  expo server,
> compiled and installed these widgets on a Sun workstation.
>
> My problem is their appearance. The manual shows nice 3-d widgets, however,
> all the test programs I run show bland 2-d widgets.

The free version of the HP widgets only supports the 2D look.  To get
the 3D look, you have to get the product version from HP or Motif from
OSF (and others).

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee