From: wmartin@brl-vgr.ARPA (Will Martin )
Newsgroups: net.cooks,net.veg
Subject: Roasting spices
Date: Mon, 7-May-84 09:26:08 EDT

[Text removed here to save space]

This does not contain the same "From" line displayed in the heading
block when you are running readnews, which is:

From: wmartin@brl-vgr.ARPA (Will Martin  @ Ballistics Research Lab)

Then, a few items down in net.cooks, the following appeared (first,
here is the heading info from a file created from the item):

From: wmartin@brl-vgr.ARPA (Will Martin )
Newsgroups: net.cooks,net.veg
Date: Tue, 8-May-84 05:28:23 EDT
Sender: news@moscom.UUCP

[Text again removed to save space; it was the EXACT SAME text of the
 first item, however.]

The "From" line in the readnews heading block for this item is:

From: wmartin@brl-vgr.ARPA (Will Martin  @ MOSCOM Corp, East Rochester, NY)

So, it seems, some software at MOSCOM likes my postings so much it
tries to make them come from itself! It has copied the item, changed
part of the origin address, and put a new article-ID on it!

Is this happening to everyone? Will MOSCOM take over the net and
duplicate every article? Does the similarity between "MOSCOM" and "Moscow"
indicate that kremvax and kgbvax are involved? Tune in, same net-time,
same net-channel, for more on this sinister development!

Actually, I don't mind, too much, but I want everybody to know that it
wasn't me at another account duplicating this message (and any more
that get so duplicated)!

(Do I get double credit for this message on the "Top 25 Submitters"
contest? I'm working my way up the list as fast as my little fingers
can type, but it's not easy to do that and maintain my high quality
level per posting! :-)

Will

mjl@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Lutz) (05/10/84)

Let me try to clear up what happened.  Moscom is a new site (so new
they haven't yet had time to post the newsite announcement).  We sent
them news 2.10.1 and they were quickly up and running.  They tried to
do something that seemed straight forward (add `junk'ed newsgroups to
the active file and resubmit the article to have it attached to the
correct groups).  However, being novices (as we all were once) they did
it in a strange way that caused the article to be duplicated.  I caught
this all too late to stop it here at RIT.  They're chagrined, I'm
sorry, and now that we know what happened, it won't be repeated.
However, several worthies got to see themselves in print TWICE!  ;-)

Mike Lutz
--
Mike Lutz	Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!mjl