[comp.windows.x] Getting rid of caps lock in xdm

dsg@mbunix.mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) (10/07/89)

I have a MIPS RS2030 workstation running RISC/os 4.10 and RISCwindows
3.0, which appears to me to be fully R3.  I like the machine alot,
except for one thing: the keyboard, particularly the positioning of
the caps lock and control keys.  Once I'm logged in, I can use xmodmap
to reverse them, putting the control key where it belongs (to my
fingers :-), but I want to do the same in xdm's login window.  I've
used the translate table in Xresources to make the caps lock key have
the same effect as the control key (ie when I type control-U with what
I think should be the control key, it gives me control-U).  The
problem, is that the caps lock is turned on too.  The definition of
the translate table doesn't seem to allow remapping of modifiers.  Is
there any other way to do what I want?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Goldberg
Dave Goldberg	             ARPA: dsg@mitre.org
The Mitre Corporation        UUCP: linus!mbunix!dsg
MS B020
Bedford, MA 01730
617-271-2460

beacker@mips.COM (Bradley Eacker) (10/10/89)

In article <72816@linus.UUCP>, dsg@mbunix.mitre.org (David S. Goldberg) writes:

> I have a MIPS RS2030 workstation running RISC/os 4.10 and RISCwindows
> 3.0, which appears to me to be fully R3.  I like the machine alot,
> except for one thing: the keyboard, particularly the positioning of
> the caps lock and control keys.  Once I'm logged in, I can use xmodmap
> to reverse them, putting the control key where it belongs (to my
> fingers :-), but I want to do the same in xdm's login window.  I've
> used the translate table in Xresources to make the caps lock key have
> the same effect as the control key (ie when I type control-U with what
> I think should be the control key, it gives me control-U).  The
> problem, is that the caps lock is turned on too.  The definition of
> the translate table doesn't seem to allow remapping of modifiers.  Is
> there any other way to do what I want?

Dave,
     If you want to be able to install the extra key caps that came with
your system and permanently switch the caps lock and control functions
you can use the commands at the PROM level

>> setenv keyswtch 1
>> init

     The PROM level is the point at which you have to type auto after
power cycling the machine.  This particular command and nvram parameter
controls the usage of these 2 keys and was put in for just this purpose.
I think the information is in the Manuals, but off the top of my head
I can't remember which one (of the 2030 manuals).

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave Goldberg

     Thank you for the kind words about the product,
             Brad Eacker (beacker@mips.mips.com)

beacker@mips.COM (Bradley Eacker) (10/11/89)

In article <29158@weasel.mips.COM>, beacker@mips.COM (Bradley Eacker) writes:

>      If you want to be able to install the extra key caps that came with
> your system and permanently switch the caps lock and control functions
> you can use the commands at the PROM level
>
> >> setenv keyswtch 1
> >> init

     Laurence Yaffe brought to my attention that this does not work in the
xserver environment.  I have checked with the folks that use the swapped
keys here and they use:

xmodmap -e "remove Lock = Caps_Lock" \
	-e "remove Control = Control_L" \
	-e "keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock" \
	-e "keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L" \
	-e "add Lock = Caps_Lock" \
	-e "add Control = Control_L"

     I have verified on the system that I use that the keyswtch works
at the prom level and the black terminal window.  So I feel a little
better.
         Chagrined,
             Brad Eacker (beacker@mips.mips.com)