[comp.windows.x] DEC window manager stinks

alk@donald.cs.umn.edu (Anthony L. Kimball) (10/06/89)

I despise dxwm utterly.  The straight-jacket minds at DEC seem to have
precluded me from using another window manager by default.  Does anyone
know any way in which I can startup with, say, twm (my favorite), instead of
dxwm on my DECstation 3100 (Ultrix, natch`).

Quick, someone at DEC, tell me how (I read the no-bloody-help documentation)
before I start broadcasting the rest of my gripes about the Pmax.

--alk @ neuro.med.umn.edu

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (10/06/89)

put:

sm.windowManagerName: start-twm
sm.terminalEmulatorName: xterm

in your ~/.Xdefaults. I use a CSH script called start-twm because this
insures that twm will have a complete environment. i.e., if I don't do
this, twm (and children born by menu actions) don't know about e.g.,
PRINTER, TEXFONTS, etc etc. Kind of annoying.

I'm generally investigating the means to use xdm/xdcons instead. The
only advantage of dxsession is that it captures console output, and
xdcons is supposed to do this as well.

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (10/06/89)

In article <16229@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> alk@donald.cs.umn.edu (Anthony L. Kimball) writes:
>I despise dxwm utterly.  The straight-jacket minds at DEC seem to have
>precluded me from using another window manager by default.  Does anyone
>know any way in which I can startup with, say, twm (my favorite), instead of
>dxwm on my DECstation 3100 (Ultrix, natch`).

Try "man dxsession" for starters.  You might find its description of the
windowManagerName resource interesting.

>Quick, someone at DEC, tell me how (I read the no-bloody-help documentation)
>before I start broadcasting the rest of my gripes about the Pmax.

Gripe all you want.  Being a little bit more polite about it wouldn't hurt.

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente

mikey@atocha.pa.dec.com (Mike Yang) (10/06/89)

In article <12443@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu
(Dirk Grunwald) writes:
> I use a CSH script called start-twm because this
> insures that twm will have a complete environment. i.e., if I don't do
> this, twm (and children born by menu actions) don't know about e.g.,
> PRINTER, TEXFONTS, etc etc. Kind of annoying.

If your SHELL environment variable is set to /bin/csh and you define things
like PRINTER and TEXFONTS in your .cshrc file, they'll be in the environment
of children born by menu actions.

Mike Yang	  Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
mikey@wsl.dec.com	 decwrl!mikey			(415) 853-6677

dmc%satori@Sun.COM (Doug Cook) (10/08/89)

	(Anthony L. Kimball) writes:
>I despise dxwm utterly.  The straight-jacket minds at DEC seem to have
>precluded me from using another window manager by default.  Does anyone
>know any way in which I can startup with, say, twm (my favorite), instead of
>dxwm on my DECstation 3100 (Ultrix, natch`).
>
>Quick, someone at DEC, tell me how (I read the no-bloody-help documentation)
>before I start broadcasting the rest of my gripes about the Pmax.
>
>--alk @ neuro.med.umn.edu

I think we can do without this sort of flames to the net? If you have
a question to ask about how to run another WM, just ask the question. I
think the people at DEC would be more inclined to offer help if your
attitude were less obnoxious.

Anyhow, to answer your question, here's at least one way to do it.
I commented out the following line in /etc/ttys:

#:0 "/usr/bin/login -P /usr/bin/Xprompter -C /usr/bin/dxsession" none on secure window="/usr/bin/Xcfb"

and added the line:

ttyv0 "/usr/bin/xterm -L -sb -geometry =80x24+195+275 -d unix:0" xterm on secure window="/usr/bin/Xcfb"

You'll need to create /dev/ttyv0 if you haven't done so. You'll
also have to restart "init" (kill -1 1) for this to take effect. I'm sure
there are better ways of doing this, but this method seems to work fine
for me.

	-Doug

Doug Cook				dmc@sun.com
Software Engineer, XView Group		cook@gandalf.ucdavis.edu
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

bruce@servio.UUCP (Bruce Schuchardt) (10/09/89)

In article <16229@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> alk@donald.cs.umn.edu (Anthony L. Kimball) writes:
>... Does anyone
>know any way in which I can startup with, say, twm (my favorite), instead of
>dxwm on my DECstation 3100 (Ultrix, natch`).

You can put a line in your .Xdefaults to have any window manager you want
started up instead of the default dxwm.  E.g.,

    sm.windowManagerName:       /usr/bin/uwm

  Bruce Schuchardt          Ph: (503) 629-8383
  Servio Logic              bruce@servio.SLC.COM
  Beaverton, OR             uunet!servio!bruce

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (10/10/89)

In article <16229@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> alk@donald.cs.umn.edu (Anthony L. Kimball) writes:
>I despise dxwm utterly.  The straight-jacket minds at DEC seem to have
>precluded me from using another window manager by default.  Does anyone
>know any way in which I can startup with, say, twm (my favorite), instead of
>dxwm on my DECstation 3100 (Ultrix, natch`).
>
>Quick, someone at DEC, tell me how (I read the no-bloody-help documentation)
>before I start broadcasting the rest of my gripes about the Pmax.

I am not payed by DEC, but anyways:
in the .Xdefaults file on machine running Ultrix I'v seen the line:

sm*windowManagerName : /usr/bin/mwm
sm*terminalEmulatorName: /usr/bin/xterm

(mwm stands for Motif Window Manager, sm for DEC's session manager)
- is this what you are looking for ???

[By the way, to find undocumented resource names for DECW$ utilities
 (on a VAX in particular), the DUMP utility is a real help, sometimes
 you can find real treasures].

Martin Brunecky, Auto-trol Technology Corporation,
12500 North Washington Street, Denver, CO-80241-2404
(303) 252-2499                                        ncar!ico!auto-trol!marbru

ken@uf.msc.umn.edu (Ken Chin-Purcell) (10/11/89)

In article <319@auto-trol.UUCP> ncar!ico!auto-trol!marbru (Martin Brunecky) writes:
>In article <16229@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> alk@donald.cs.umn.edu (Anthony L. Kimball) writes:
>>I despise dxwm utterly.  The straight-jacket minds at DEC seem to have
>>precluded me from using another window manager by default.  Does anyone
>>know any way in which I can startup with, say, twm (my favorite), instead of
>>dxwm on my DECstation 3100 (Ultrix, natch`).
>>
>sm*windowManagerName : /usr/bin/mwm
>sm*terminalEmulatorName: /usr/bin/xterm

As you've probably noticed, any of the dx* programs are huge, including
the dxsession session manager, which is run as the initial process.
Seeking a more lean-and-mean startup, I wrote a quick script called
'login.sh' that looks for $HOME/.xinitrc, and if found, exec's the
preferred shell on it.  Otherwise dxsession is exec'd.

Then I modified /etc/ttys to run 'sh login.sh' instead of 'dxsession'
as the intial process.  See 'man login' and 'man ttys' for details.

My .xinitrc file calls xset, xsetroot, forks an xterm, and runs mwm.
This way, when mwm dies, the session dies.  This setup avoids
decwindows all together, which is fine by me, and pages much less at
startup.

             Ken Chin-Purcell   (aka ken@msc.umn.edu)
                  Minnesota Supercomputer Center
          1200 Washington Ave. So. Minneapolis, MN 55415