[comp.windows.x] User Interface Generation Tools

scott@talarian.UUCP (Scott Weitzenkamp) (10/04/89)

  Is there anything like AutoCode for X11?  For those who don't know,
AutoCode is (IMHO) a really slick program for creating user interfaces
under SunView.  It lets you create windows, panels, buttons, sliders,
scrollbars, etc.  You specify the C variables names for all the things
you create, how to connect things (e.g. attaching a menu to a push
button), and what callback routines to use.
  You can then generate C code for the user interface that you have
created.  AutoCode even has a preview mode to let you try out your
creation.  Has AutoCode been ported to X11?  If so, what kind of C
code does it generate (XView/SunView?  Motif? Athena Widgets?).
  What I want (I guess) is a product that will generate C code that
creates Xt Widgets.  The problem is that there are lots of different
widget sets (Athena, HP, Sony, Motif, DECwindows, etc).
  I have heard of UIMX from Visual Edge Software, and XBuild from
Nixdorf in Burlington, MA.  Does anybody out there have phone numbers
for these two companies?

--
Scott Weitzenkamp, Talarian Corporation, Mountain View, CA
uunet!talarian!scott  scott@talarian.uu.net (415) 941-9417

Robespierre@cup.portal.com (Peter C Thompson) (10/05/89)

Xbuild from Nixdorf Computer Engineering is at
  52 Third Ave.
  Burlington, MA 01803
  (617) 273-0480
  email: uunet!decvax!linus!nixbur!{brophy,maggio}

I talked to these guys at the Motif "class" in Palo Alto, and they
seem to know what they are talking about.  Their product appears to
be based on MOTIF, but I could be wrong :-)

Enjoy,
	Peter Thompson

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (10/05/89)

In article <181@talarian.UUCP>, scott@talarian.UUCP (Scott Weitzenkamp) writes:
>   Is there anything like AutoCode for X11?

I understand that AutoCode is being ported to X11, but that it will
only support XView, not the X Toolkit.  Two user interface
generators/managers for the X Toolkit are XBuild from Nixdorf
(617-273-0480) and TeleUSE from TeleSoft (619-457-2700).  Of these,
TeleUSE seems to be the most mature, with a built in dialog manager.
On the other hand, XBuild claims they will support UIL (DECwindows and
Motif) in the near future.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

waldorf@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (jerry waldorf) (10/05/89)

In article <181@talarian.UUCP> scott@talarian.UUCP (Scott Weitzenkamp) writes:
>  I have heard of UIMX from Visual Edge Software, and XBuild from
>Nixdorf in Burlington, MA.  Does anybody out there have phone numbers
>for these two companies?

I am using UIMX on an HP 9000/330 workstation.  I have a Beta version that
HP gave to us.  I believe that HP is doing the distributing of the UIMX
software, so if you want to get a copy of it I suggest you call your
local HP software representitive.  I also understand that UIMX will be included
with 7.0 HP-UX from HP.  Although I have heard that this won't be available
until 1990.  There is also a NASA product that does similar things but I
know little of this product, except its name which is TAE.

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (R.L.Hesketh) (10/05/89)

In article <1889@bacchus.dec.com> klee@decwrl.dec.com writes:

>On the other hand, XBuild claims they will support UIL (DECwindows and
>Motif) in the near future.
>
>Ken Lee

As a side question, UIL doesn't appear to allow new widget classes to be
added to its compiler tables.  I can see one reason why ... programmers
should only be using the DECWindows widget set to stick to the DECWindows
look and feel.  This does seem to be a limiting factor though, and may
put a few people off (me for one).  Of course I would like to be wrong
on this one 8-).  If DEC made a concious decision to be this limiting then
why did they chosen a language?  Surely a graphical, direct manipulation
editor would be much easier for everyone (except the guy who built the
UI Builder in the first place!).  Okay, so UI Builders need to be quite
intelligent to be able to handle creation of something more than just the
static user interface which they can do very well anyway.  But thats
what UIL only does????

Richard Hesketh

randy@erik.UUCP (Randy Brown) (10/05/89)

The same company that does AutoCode does ExoCODE (Expert Object Corp,
(312)676-5555), which is certainly for X11, but not for the widgets; it
uses XView.  An alternative is UIMX, which can be had in incarnations
for Motif and for Open Look.  For more info on the Open Look version,
try Alan Hochberg (attmail!hochberg, 201-898-6356).  Since it's in beta,
I can't say how well it will work when released, but it is supposed to
allow not only interactive screen design, but interpretative execution
of the C code in the application.  UIMX is from Visual Edge Software
Ltd., 514-332-6430.  Hope this helps. ... rb

brucec@demiurge.WV.TEK.COM (Bruce Cohen;685-2439;61-028) (10/06/89)

In article <2662@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (R.L.Hesketh) writes:
>As a side question, UIL doesn't appear to allow new widget classes to be
>added to its compiler tables.  I can see one reason why ... programmers
>should only be using the DECWindows widget set to stick to the DECWindows
>look and feel.  This does seem to be a limiting factor though, and may
>put a few people off (me for one).  Of course I would like to be wrong
>on this one 8-).

I took a Motif class (the track one overview course) last week, and the
instructor (David Berks (sp?) of OSF) said that OSF planned to remove this
restriction at a later date.

 If DEC made a concious decision to be this limiting then
>why did they chosen a language?  Surely a graphical, direct manipulation
>editor would be much easier for everyone (except the guy who built the
>UI Builder in the first place!).  Okay, so UI Builders need to be quite
>intelligent to be able to handle creation of something more than just the
>static user interface which they can do very well anyway.  But thats
>what UIL only does????

As I understand it, the reason for the restriction is just to reduce the
complexity of the first implementation.  There was never an intention to
enforce the look and feel this way.  In fact, since there is no way that
any toolkit designer can predict what a UI designer will need to do, there
will always be people who have to go beyond the standard look and feel in
areas where the standard is mute.  Allowing these frontier explorers to
hook their widgets up the standard ones in a UIL description will keep
pressure on them to hold to the standards in areas where innovation is not
necessary.

"Small men in padded bras don't look the same falling from high places."
	- R.A. MacAvoy, "The Third Eagle"
Bruce Cohen
brucec@orca.wv.tek.com
Interactive Technologies Division, Tektronix, Inc.
M/S 61-028, P.O. Box 1000, Wilsonville, OR  97070

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (10/07/89)

> I also understand that UIMX will be included with 7.0 HP-UX from HP.

Don't know where you heard this, but it is definitely *FALSE*.

			-- Chan Benson
			HP Fort Collins

crom@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Netnews Administrator) (10/07/89)

in article <35@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM>, waldorf@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (jerry waldorf) says:
> I am using UIMX on an HP 9000/330 workstation.  I have a Beta version that

Could you say a few words about UIMX and whether you find it useful?  Does it
generate Xlib calls or does it use a set of widgets?
Jack Dixon,  AT&T
{ ...!att!vogon!jcd, jcd@vogon.att.com }

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (10/10/89)

Re: Extending the built-in UIL tables.

There is a documented way for adding user-written widgets to the UIL by
including widget definition file. However, any reference to such widget
must use "user-defined" clause, plus the application must register
all the widget creation routines (for use by DRM). The UIL build-in
tables are (I'v been told) created by VAX Scan, so they are not quite
easy to modify.

However, considering how many more importand defficiencies the UIL has,
the way to include user-written widgets is not too clumersome. I am
using it for the whole widget set (buttons, organizers etc.), and it's
not too bad.

On the other hand, I would like to join the UIL-bashers club, if there
is one ...
Martin Brunecky, Auto-trol Technology Corporation,
12500 North Washington Street, Denver, CO-80241-2404
(303) 252-2499                                        ncar!ico!auto-trol!marbru

waldorf@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (jerry waldorf) (10/10/89)

In article <4196@cuuxb.ATT.COM> crom@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Netnews Administrator) writes:
>in article <35@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM>, waldorf@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (jerry waldorf) says:
>> I am using UIMX on an HP 9000/330 workstation.  I have a Beta version that
>
>Could you say a few words about UIMX and whether you find it useful?  Does it
>generate Xlib calls or does it use a set of widgets?

I have found the Beta version of UIMX very slow.  The code that is developed
is fast enough but the developing of the interface is very frustrating.  I
hope that the performance increases otherwise I belive that this tool will
not be well accepted.  As for the calls it produces, the version I have makess
calls to a toolkit provided by UIMX, i.e. the calls are to Ux...  they appear
to be very similar to the hp widget set.  They tell me (my HP representative)
that UIMX will eventually use the MOTIF standard.

tjd@leghorn.mpd.tandem.com (Tom Davidson) (10/10/89)

Although I wasn't directly asked, I have used UIMX in two forms for about a
year and here are some comments...

. I started out being a proponent of the UIL approach (OPEN/DIALOGUE) as
  I felt it presented a more rigorous approach and one could keep
  modification histories via rcs. Well, I changed my mind in a big way.

. UIMX, up to recently, supported the HP widget set. Now I believe that
  the MOTIF version is ready to hit the streets soon and there is an
  OPEN LOOK version in the works.

. I can't say enough good things about sitting down with your end user and
  building the i/f and test driving it with them. Because of the builtin C
  interpreter, you never leave the UIMX environment.

. You can hook into existing C code, use system calls or subprocs to kick
  off helpers (and channel their output to widgets!).

. UIMX keeps an interface file of your work which can be loaded and
  modified whenever needed. When ready to build the final application,
  you just ask UIMX to write the C code, bind it with the 10,000 X
  libraries and voila... you're done.

. Ok, ok enough of the pep talk... is it useful? Yes, in the most recent
  case, I was able to build an application in about 15 hours which I
  think would have taken three weeks writing the code by hand.

. The Ohio State "build a telephone" test using the Next IB was completed
  in comparable time ( < 1 hour) using UIMX.

I think it's slick stuff. If you're looking for ways to speed up i/f
building, and thereby concentrate on the real issues, check it out.

Tom

--
Tom Davidson			internet: halley!foghorn!tjd@cs.utexas.edu
Tandem Computers, Inc.		fax: (512) 244-8247 voice: (512) 244-8375

eli@haddock.ima.isc.com (Elias Israel) (10/11/89)

Perhaps I missed that part of the discussion, but can anyone tell me how
UIMX is obtained (i.e. from whom and at what price)?

I apologize in advance if this has already been mentioned.

Thanks,

Elias Israel		   | "Justice, n. A commodity which in more or
Interactive Systems Corp.  | less adulterated condition the State sells
Boston, MA		   | to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance,
..!ima!haddock!eli	   | taxes, and personal service."

sean@cadre.dsl.pitt.edu (Sean McLinden) (10/12/89)

In article <1210015@hpfcmgw.HP.COM> chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) writes:
>> I also understand that UIMX will be included with 7.0 HP-UX from HP.
>
>Don't know where you heard this, but it is definitely *FALSE*.

Oh well. One more reason for switching to Mach on the HPs.

Sean McLinden
University of Pittsburgh

tjd@leghorn.mpd.tandem.com (Tom Davidson) (10/12/89)

I'm giving this info out so much that I think its time for the net...

UIMX is a product from

	Visual Edge Software
	3870 Cote Vertu
	St. Laurent, Quebec