[comp.windows.x] Xhp on a DS3100

moraes@CS.TORONTO.EDU (Mark Moraes) (10/14/89)

jstravis@athena.mit.edu (John S. Travis) writes:
>Now, i have build the set and everything seems ok. I compile D. Young
>oneline textwidget and get an a.out(same code that works on the other
>machines i'm working on VAX3100-athena)
>I try to run and:

>	X Toolkit Warning: Widget class TextEdit version mismatch:
>	    Widget 7001 vs Intrinsic 11003
>	 X Toolkit Warning: Widget class Primitive version mismatch:
>            Widget 7001 vs Intrinsic 11003

I believe the problem goes away if you use -I/usr/include/mit/X11 when
compiling the application and Xhp. (Or so I am told by
liew@cad.berlekey.edu who tried to compile xpic + Xhp on a DS3100 and
had a similar problem)

The key lines are in IntrinsicP.h -- for DECWindows
(/usr/include/X11/IntrinsicP.h), they are:

#define XT_VERSION 7
#define XT_REVISION 1
#define XtVersion (XT_VERSION * 1000 + XT_REVISION)

For MIT X.V11R3, (/usr/include/mit/X11/IntrinsicP.h) they are

#define XT_VERSION 11
#define XT_REVISION 3
#define XtVersion (XT_VERSION * 1000 + XT_REVISION)

Fair warning: If you expect non-DECWindows applications (i.e. the kind
of programs we've all been non-discriminatingly calling X applications
until now) to work under DECWindows, it is possible that you may have
to do a bit of work.  There's probably some documentation in the
DECWindows manuals that says just that, or tells you when to use
/usr/include/mit/X11 (vanilla X.V11R3?) and when to use
/usr/include/X11 (DECWindows?). I haven't had the nerve to read the
manuals yet. (No flames about DECWindows vs.  X, please -- I'm just
making an observation:-)

We avoided these problems by just compiling our entire X.V11R3 src tree
(except the server, o'course - that DS3100 server is *FAST*) and
installing it in the usual places.  (A good time to insert many thanks
to the people at the X Consortium for a portable, well organized
distribution that we've been able to compile on different hardware
platforms around here with very few headaches)

we stuff all locally installed stuff into
/local/{bin,lib,share,etc,man} so this strategy worked nicely for all
applications with Imakefiles. (They were all told to look in
/local/share/X11/include first)

Caveat: MIT R3 mkfontdir and bdftosnf don't work properly with the DEC
supplied DS3100 server -- you have to use the ones in /usr/bin.
Otherwise, your fonts look, uh, interesting.  I assume there was an
excellent reason for DEC to change the SNF, if that is indeed what
happened?

Installing the MIT X tree also avoided the culture shock of DECWindows
-- pulldown menus in a terminal emulator -- Eeeek! :-)

For those who have dealt with and have to deal with the divergent
manufacturer supplied versions of (alleged?:-) the *U*x operating
system, dealing with manufacturer supplied versions of the X window
system will cause a string feeling of deja-vu...

	Mark.

standard: 1: a conspicuous object (as a banner) formerly used at the
   top of a pole to mark a rallying point esp. in battle or to serve as
   an emblem