[comp.windows.x] SIGPIPE in HP 9000

elicegui@ts.tid.es (elicegui) (10/20/89)

I am working using an HP 9000/(319,350) workstation running 6.5 HP-UX.
I am working with HP widgets set.

I have a problem in a aplication when I create many widgets. The
client process generates the signal SIGPIPE /* write on a pipe with
no one to read it */
The problem appears with this secuence of calls:
XtCreateManagedWidget / XtCreateWidget / XtCreate1 / CoreInitialize /
XwManagerUnmap / XwManagerUnmap / XCreatePixmap / write

If I give more priority to the client process, the prohgram finishes
well.

Could someone help me about it
	thanks in advance
	my address is elicegui@ts.tid.es

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (10/20/89)

In article <300@goya.dit.upm.es>, elicegui@ts.tid.es (elicegui) writes:
> I am working using an HP 9000/(319,350) workstation running 6.5 HP-UX.
> I am working with HP widgets set.
>
> I have a problem in a aplication when I create many widgets. The
> client process generates the signal SIGPIPE /* write on a pipe with
> no one to read it */
> If I give more priority to the client process, the prohgram finishes
> well.

Sounds like a bug in your server.  The server probably generates lots
of Expose or other events for all your widgets.  The client reads them
much more slowly than the server generates them, so the server queue
fills up.  The server then mistakenly thinks the client is dead and
drops the connection, giving the client a SIGPIPE.  You should try
getting your server to do something more useful in this case, like
allocating another buffer.  Alternatively, you can use Motif gadgets
which may cause fewer events to be generated.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee