[comp.windows.x] Books/Docmntn. on Athena Widgets

atmaram@csun9.cs.uh.edu (S. Atmaram) (10/22/89)

Hello netters!
              I'm an absolute rookie in the world of programming X and would
like to know if there are any boooks or other sources of information which
describe how to go about using the Athena Widgets.

              Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Atmaram.

You are nearer to heaven through football than prayer     - Swami Vivekananda

lwh@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Loyde W Hales) (10/22/89)

In article <15527@uhnix1.uh.edu> atmaram@csun9.cs.uh.edu (S. Atmaram) writes:

>Hello netters!
>              I'm an absolute rookie in the world of programming X and would
>like to know if there are any boooks or other sources of information which
>describe how to go about using the Athena Widgets.

I know of no ``primer'' book specifically for the Athen Widgets.  As a
reference book, _X Toolkit Reference Guide_ by ASP, Inc. in their X Reference
Series is fairly good.  It is a ring-bound reference, fairly small with good
cross-references.  They also have a slightly more meaty paperback relative (I
don't have it here for the title, sorry.) of the book you may want to check.

I hope this helps some.

-=-

Loyde W. Hales, II                      The Ohio State University
lwh@cis.ohio-state.edu          2036 Neil Avenue Mall, Columbus, Ohio  43201

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (10/24/89)

In article <15527@uhnix1.uh.edu>, atmaram@csun9.cs.uh.edu (S. Atmaram) writes:
               I'm an absolute rookie in the world of programming X and would
> like to know if there are any boooks or other sources of information which
> describe how to go about using the Athena Widgets.

A good way to learn to program with any widget set is to read Doug
Young's books "X Window Systems - Programming and Applications with Xt"
along with the appropriate widget manual.  This book is the only
tutorial on X Toolkit programming out right now, and it's pretty good.
Most of the material applies to any widget set.  Widget-specific
information for the Athena widgets can be found in the Athena widget
manual (on the MIT tape).

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee