[comp.windows.x] does anyone have help for this student trying to use MIT widgets?

FOXEA@VTCC1.BITNET (10/24/89)

From:   VTCC1::RAMAKRISH    23-OCT-1989 15:40:59.86
To:     FOXEA
CC:     RAMAKRISH
Subj:   PROBLEMS WITH WIDGETS - DOCUMENTATION.

Subject :     PROBLEMS WITH X-WINDOWS.
*
Submitted by : RAMAKRISHNAN S and NAGANAND DORASWAMY.
*
Problem ONE :
      1) We require to use a widget upon which we can draw
         graphics pictures.

      2) We also need to make scrolling possible: one elegant
         way to do this is by making the 'graphics' widget the
         child of a VIEWPORT widget (widget automatically
         provides scrollbars if its child were larger than its
         frame).

      3) None of the widgets provided by X11 seem fit for this
         purpose:
           COMMAND widget : For panel buttons.
           LABEL widget   : Uneditable messages.
           DIALOG widget  : For accepting strings.
           BOX widget     : A frame for enclosing other widgets.
           FORM widget    : Same as BOX except that it provides
                            an ordering for placement.
           GRIP widget    : Handling pointer events.
           VPaned         : A more sophisticated framework tha
                            n BOX & FORM for holding other
                            subwindows.
           TEXT   (string): To display EDITABLE (optional)/
                            APPENDABLE string information.
           TEXT   (file)  : To display a file with options to
                            edit/append.

     We just need a widget on which we can paint using the
     XDraw... functions of X11. We know how to take care of
     scrolling.
     We tried to come over the problem by extracting the
     window of a widget (say the BOX widget) and drawing on
     this window (this window becomes the 'Drawable' required
     by the XDraw... functions) : we got some funny results;
     the drawing never appears and at times the even the widget
     itself doesn't appear.
     The X11 manual on widgets does say that widgets can be used
     for graphics purposes : doesn't say which.

        I hope I've made the problem clear. (essentially the stmnt
        #1 of the problem summarizes the problem).

Problem TWO :

          There's another\ minor problem :
           At times,instantiations of widgets seem to completely ignore the
        argument values specified by the widget defn given by the
        program : the default values from the resource database
        are then consulted. We have seen this happening esp with
        creation of :
           1) Viewports with scrollbars (forcing the scrollbar
               creation is completely ignored).

           2) Shell widgets for popups : although we specify the
              XtNminHeight, XtNmaxHeight, XtNminwidth and
              XtNmaxwidth values in the program (we do this
              very correctly , as per the X11 syntax : I assure
              you) , at the time of widget realization, the
              dimensions remain zero , so that a runtime occurs.

         Since we 're interested in participating in the demo,
        and since the problem #1 is essentially blocking our
        progress, I am very eager to find a soln for this
        ASAP.
              Thank You.

                 Ramakrishnan S.
                 Naganand Doraswamy.