[comp.windows.x] Xnews startup

gilley@ndl.COM (Greg Gilley) (11/01/89)

I am trying to start up Xnews in an X11ONLY mode.  The problem is I
cannot find a way to gracefully exit xnews.  In other words, with a
'normal' X server, you start it something like:

       xinit xterm -- Xsun

Then when you quit the xterm, the server exits.  I have been unable
to successfully do this with xnews.  HELP!
					Thanks,
					   Greg

P.S.  Is there a better place to post questions about Xnews, ie. is
      there an xnews group/mailing list?
  Greg Gilley
  gilley@ndl.COM   [Numerical Design Limited]
  919-929-2917 (voice)

janssen@parc.xerox.com (Bill Janssen) (11/02/89)

In article <149@ndl.UUCP>, gilley@ndl (Greg Gilley) writes:
>I am trying to start up Xnews in an X11ONLY mode.  The problem is I
>cannot find a way to gracefully exit xnews.  In other words, with a
>'normal' X server, you start it something like:
>
>       xinit xterm -- Xsun

You can do the same thing with xnews.  I package the call to start
the server in a script (sunX):

#!/bin/sh
OPENWINHOME=${OPENWINHOME:-"/import/openwin"}
export OPENWINHOME
X11ONLY=t
export X11ONLY
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${OPENWINHOME}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:-/usr/lib}"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PATH=${PATH}:${OPENWINHOME}/bin
export PATH
exec xnews