[comp.windows.x] Xt toolkit and dec3100 window manager

gropp-bill@CS.Yale.EDU (Bill Gropp) (11/03/89)

I have an application written using the Xt toolkit and Athena widgets (
X11R3).  It runs fine on a Sun under uwm or twm, but does not on a
dec3100 under (I believe) dxwm.  The application will not accept input
on the 3100 (the executable is built and runs on a Sun 3), specifically
neither in Text nor in Dialog widgets.  My guess is that this is a problem
with the input hints that our version of Xt does not handle.  Is there an
applicable patch?  Some other bug?  Thanks.
Bill Gropp

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (11/04/89)

In article <4404@cs.yale.edu>, gropp-bill@CS.Yale.EDU (Bill Gropp) writes:
<
< I have an application written using the Xt toolkit and Athena widgets (
< X11R3).  It runs fine on a Sun under uwm or twm, but does not on a
< dec3100 under (I believe) dxwm.  The application will not accept input
< on the 3100 (the executable is built and runs on a Sun 3), specifically
< neither in Text nor in Dialog widgets.  My guess is that this is a problem
< with the input hints that our version of Xt does not handle.  Is there an
< applicable patch?  Some other bug?  Thanks.
< Bill Gropp

Had the same problem with xfig.  Yes, you have to set the input hints
on the window(s):

        XWMHints wmhints;

        /* Set the input field to true to allow keyboard input */
        wmhints.flags = InputHint;
        wmhints.input = True;
        XSetWMHints(display, XtWindow(widget),wmhints);

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (11/04/89)

In article <4404@cs.yale.edu>, gropp-bill@CS.Yale.EDU (Bill Gropp) writes:
> The application will not accept input
> on the 3100 (the executable is built and runs on a Sun 3), specifically
> neither in Text nor in Dialog widgets.

This is probably the second most commonly asked X programming
question.  The answer is that, for a client to be ICCCM compliant and
work properly with ICCCM compliant window managers, you must set
XtNinput to True on top level shells that expect input.  See Section
4.1.3 of the intrinsics manual and Section 4.1.7 of the ICCCM for
details.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee