[comp.windows.x] Looking for guidlines for converting Suntools to X11.

peter@hydrovax.nmt.edu (Peter A. Blemel) (11/02/89)

Hi everyone,

   We're all novices at X here. Does anyone have any written guidelines
for converting Suntools stuff to X11. Basically anything that talks
about duplicating functionality would be appriciated (I.e. This sequence
of calls in X is basically the same as calling xxx in sunview.)

Thanks
Peter
-----
peter@hydrovax.nmt.edu
peter@amber.nmt.edu

abair@turbinia.oakhill.uucp (Alan Bair) (11/03/89)

In article <3426@nmtsun.nmt.edu> peter@hydrovax.nmt.edu (Peter A. Blemel) writes:

   Hi everyone,

      We're all novices at X here. Does anyone have any written guidelines
   for converting Suntools stuff to X11. Basically anything that talks
   about duplicating functionality would be appriciated (I.e. This sequence
   of calls in X is basically the same as calling xxx in sunview.)

   Thanks
   Peter
   -----
   peter@hydrovax.nmt.edu
   peter@amber.nmt.edu

This sounds like a perfect candidate for the Sun XView toolkit.  It is
a toolkit for X that uses the SunView programming API. This does not
provide a mapping from SunView to X calls, but allows you
to bascily recompile your SunView application with the new toolkit.
Then what previously ran under SunTools, now runs under X Windows.

Its freely distributable.  You should be able to find it on any of the X
archives or at other archive sites, like osu-cis.  It will be part of
the X11R4 contrib section.  You should also be able to get it from
your Sun salesman.

--
Alan Bair
SPS CAD                   Logic Simulation & Test

chrise@bcsaic.UUCP (Chris Esposito) (11/04/89)

In article <3426@nmtsun.nmt.edu> peter@hydrovax.nmt.edu (Peter Blemel) writes:

>   We're all novices at X here. Does anyone have any written guidelines
>for converting Suntools stuff to X11. Basically anything that talks
>about duplicating functionality would be appriciated (I.e. This sequence
>of calls in X is basically the same as calling xxx in sunview.)

Back when the successor to SunView was called View2, I got a copy of a
document entitled `View2 Reference Manual: Converting Sunview 1 to View2'
(part # 800-2483-02).  This document describes some differences and
incompatibilities between the two systems, levels of conversion (minimal vs
full) and the code changes needed.  The copy I have is an alpha draft from
11/88, so I imagine that the contents have changed somewhat in the latest
version of this manual for XView.

Hope this helps.

--
Chris Esposito                      | CSNET: chrise@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | uucp: ...!uw-june!bcsaic!chrise

yakker@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (The Rastafari Yakker) (11/04/89)

Recently I tried pulling off the xview sources from gatekeeper.dec.com,
and eventually figured out how they had broken up the files there...
(Same way with giza.cis.ohio-state.edu)  After I finally got the files
through tar, I went through the painstaking bit by bit task of taking
apart almost every single Makefile to re-create something that actually
worked.  Come on, guys, a 10,000 character Makefile for one .c file???

This has got to be crazy.  Then I went ahead and compiled the files,
finally got the files to work properly, only to now find out after
I finish the whole thing that I have to dig up (No docs) the exact
place of the fonts and properly "rewrite" some of the code to get it
to work.  Has ANYONE compiled this yet, and if so, did you have the
same number of headaches?

I just have a few questions...Does anyone know where to get the imake
sources?  Has anyone compiled this for a Sparcstation or Sun 3/60?`
And do you know if these programs actually work?  (If you do have
the proper sources already sorted through so that they compile
without hitches, do you have an anonymous ftp site?)

Sorry to waste the bandwidth, guys, but I just spent 24 hours trying
to get this to work.

One other last question ... Where are the MH sources kept? (As in,
for xmh)?

yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu
..!ucsd!ucrmath!yakker

"...If I only had a brain..."