[comp.windows.x] Has Anyone Heard of a X-Windows Card for Mac?

news@uswat.UUCP (news) (10/18/89)

From: margaret@boulder.USWest.COM (Margaret Bonham)

Situation:
I am tied into a ethernet network of Sun computers through my Mac SE.
There is a program on one Sun called Framemaker that I wish to utilize.
(For reasons I won't go into, using the Mac S/W won't cut it).  I have
been told in order to use Framemaker, the Mac needs an X-Windows card.

Problems:
1.  Who manufactures an X-Windows card for the Mac?
2.  Will this allow me to access Framemaker?

-- Thanks
   Margaret Bonham

Margaret Bonham     E-MAIL: margaret@lookout.USWest.COM
                 "There is no replacement for displacement"

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) (10/26/89)

Well, there's some good news and some bad news (and that means something
more when you're talking about Sun's OS :-) about X Windows on the Mac.

The bad news is that there's no such thing as an "X Windows card."
Sorry.

The good news is that you don't need one.  With an ethernet connection
to an X client, all you need is X server software for the Mac (made by
Apple [MacX] or White Pine [eXodus]) to run happy, healthy X
applications.

Call your Apple dealer; they should have product info for MacX, as it
was part of the big N&C rollout they had this past summer.

-mike

)) (10/26/89)

In article <0ZFe=6i00UhW03M_oV@andrew.cmu.edu> mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:

>The bad news is that there's no such thing as an "X Windows card."
>The good news is that you don't need one.  With an ethernet connection
>to an X client, all you need is X server software for the Mac (made by
>Apple [MacX] or White Pine [eXodus]) to run happy, healthy X

Hey, according to TWM documentation, the TWM widget is available for
the mac. This, of course, requires A/UX...

Happy Hacking !
						h+@nada.kth.se
						== h+@proxxi.se
--
There will be a Door, and the Door will be the Way.

consp22@bingsund.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (10/27/89)

> Situation:
> I am tied into a ethernet network of Sun computers through my Mac SE.
> There is a program on one Sun called Framemaker that I wish to utilize.
> (For reasons I won't go into, using the Mac S/W won't cut it).  I have
> been told in order to use Framemaker, the Mac needs an X-Windows card.
>
> Problems:
> 1.  Who manufactures an X-Windows card for the Mac?

Apple has a program called MacX that will allow a Mac (even a plus) to run
Xwindow programs.  It will run under multifinder.  This may or may help you.
Good luck!

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|                                       |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|---------------------------------------|  the SUNY-B Computer users.         |
|  System Consultant - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
       If all the world is a stage, then it needs better lighting. - Me

jim@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Jim Providakes) (10/29/89)

I have read on the net about the MacX program by Apple, but have been
unsuccessful in finding out how to purchase a copy.  The local apple dealers
don't know what I am talking about. Is this program available NOW from Apple
or is it something Apple will release soon (like 7.0?).  IF it is available
does anyone know where a person can purchase it?

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (10/31/89)

mr2t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Tod Rose) writes:
>... all you need is X server software for the Mac (made by
>Apple [MacX] or White Pine [eXodus]) to run happy, healthy X

is MacX available yet? how does it look (performance, etc)? does
it require network software?

Please send replies via e-mail. Avoid net clutter!

thanks.

-----------------------------
Alan Epstein
Meta Software Corp                   UUCP:  ...bbn!metasoft!alan
150 Cambridgepark Dr        Internet/ARPA:  alan%metasoft@bbn.com
Cambridge, MA 02140  USA
-----------------------------

klong@pauling.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) (11/10/89)

In article <1424@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> jim@calvin.spp.cornell.edu.UUCP (James Providakes) writes:
>I have read on the net about the MacX program by Apple, but have been
>unsuccessful in finding out how to purchase a copy.  The local apple dealers
>don't know what I am talking about. Is this program available NOW from Apple
>or is it something Apple will release soon (like 7.0?).  IF it is available
>does anyone know where a person can purchase it?

As long as it takes net news to reach me, I'm sure there will be a thousand
similar postings before this one makes it to the outside world, but,

MacX is still under development.  There are people out there who have it,
but they are beta-testers.  You can't buy the product yet.  Get your Apple
rep to poke at MacX's product marketing manager (I won't mention the
poor soul's name here) to find out when it might be released.

Regards,

Kevin Long
Baylor College of Medicine