[comp.windows.x] Mac to X graphics

brianc@ZETA.SAINTJOE.EDU ("Brian Capouch/Fhrdfg:8:8") (10/25/89)

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but I need to get a better feel than
I have for graphic movement between the Macs and X.

I have a mono Sun 3/150, providing clients for my Visual X-19 station.  What
types of things can I move between the two systems?  I have gotten xbitmap from
sumex; it's fine once you've tweaked the graphic to even proportions, but the
source wasn't there with it to implement the fix I've seen earlier here.

The other programs I've found seem only to work on color displays.  Is this
true?  What things are there that might allow me to scan an image on the mac
and move the scanned image over?

If this is old stuff, please reply by email.

Thanks
Brian  Capouch
Saint Joseph's College
brianc@saintjoe.edu

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (11/12/89)

brianc@ZETA.SAINTJOE.EDU ("Brian Capouch/Fhrdfg:8:8") writes:
>I have gotten xbitmap from
>sumex; [...]
>The other programs I've found seem only to work on color displays.  Is this
>true?  What things are there that might allow me to scan an image on the mac
>and move the scanned image over?

Well, I wrote a program called xloadimage which can display multiple
image types on an X11 display.  Currently it handles Sun Rasterfile
(both color and monochrome in both standard and rl-encoded formats),
Faces Project images, X10 bitmap, X11 bitmap, and PBM (both normal and
compact) images.  It does not support mac images (yet) but the PBM
utilities do; you can convert the mac to PBM images and display them
with my utility.

I would like to add the ability to display Mac images.  If someone
could send me Mac image formats I would be much obliged.  Come to
think of it, any image formats would be appreciated.

As for color versus monochrome display, I have full support for
StaticGray, StaticColor, GrayScale, and PseudoColor visuals.  These
visuals support most displays out there today.  I support halftone
dithering to display color images on monochrome displays
(automatically or explicitly) and color depth-reduction to support
n bit images on n-k bit displays.  I also support image zooming,
brightening/darkening, clipping, merging, and some other capabilities.

This utility will be submitted for X11R4 but should be going out on
comp.sources.x in the near future.  If you have an immediate need I'll
be happy to e-mail you a copy.  Otherwise please watch for it on
comp.sources.x and send me any enhancement requests or code.

Happy hacking,

jim frost
software tool & die     "The World" Public Access Unix for the '90s
madd@std.com            +1 617-739-WRLD  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps