[comp.windows.x] xdm problems

andrew@isgtec.UUCP (Andrew) (11/11/89)

XDM problems:

    I am running 1.0 OpenWindows on a Sparc station (SunOS 4.0.3c). I
recently compiled the R3 client xdm (from the MIT release tape) but am
having trouble getting xdm to work. (It won't bring the server up!)

The symptom is this:

type:  xdm -config xdm-config -debug 1

return: Sic transit gloria PostScript

Just as an aside, I have the MIT server working on this same machine, and
xdm at least brings the server up.

Has anyone else had the same problem, or might know what I am doing wrong?

(Is there a later version floating around somewhere? I have a version dated
 from Oct 20 1988)

Thx in advance.
--
Andrew MacLean                     ...uunet!mnetor!censor!isgtec!andrew
Success is a journey, not an adventure!   ...utzoo!censor!isgtec!andrew

jdn@misc.Sun.COM (Jeff Nisewanger) (11/13/89)

In article <204@isgtec.UUCP> andrew@isgtec.UUCP (Andrew) writes:
>XDM problems:
>
>    I am running 1.0 OpenWindows on a Sparc station (SunOS 4.0.3c). I
>recently compiled the R3 client xdm (from the MIT release tape) but am
>having trouble getting xdm to work. (It won't bring the server up!)
>
>Andrew MacLean                     ...uunet!mnetor!censor!isgtec!andrew
>Success is a journey, not an adventure!   ...utzoo!censor!isgtec!andrew
>ISG Technologies Inc. 3030 Orlando Dr. Mississauga. Ont. Can. L4V 1S8

	The use of xdm is not supported under OpenWindows 1.0.
You will have to use xinit instead.

Jeff Nisewanger                         ARPA: jdn@sun.com
Window Systems Group                    UUCP: ...!sun!jdn
Sun Microsystems, Inc.                  415/336-5743

jordan@morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (11/15/89)

Jeff Nisewanger (Window Systems Group) <jdn@sun.com> writes:

	The use of xdm is not supported under OpenWindows 1.0.

Is anyone else getting sick of the things that have come to be
convention in the X world not being supported by "Open-Windows" ...?  I
know that XView is not based on the Intrinsics, but you would think
that the least Sun could do is provide a shared-library-built libXt ...

/jordan