[comp.windows.x] X Toolkit Documentation

peter@polygen.uucp (Peter Ent) (10/18/88)

I've seen a couple of articles posted about documentation for the
Xtoolkit.  We have the "beta version 0.1" from somewhere (there's no
author info, I assume it is from MIT).  No offense, but is there
something better out there?  We're fairly green at X, and have come
to the conclusion that this toolkit (are there others?) is the thing
to use.  My partner and I have looked at some of the sources in
comp.sources.x which use the toolkit and find little correspondence
between the code and the manual.  We're looking for a Rosetta stone.

Any help appreciated.

--pete ent
  Polygen Corp.
  (617) 890-2888

root@advsln.UUCP (root) (08/24/89)

Can anyone tell me how I can get the MIT public domain (or any other version) documentation on the X11 toolkit.  I have a AUX system running X11 and the examples use the toolkit;
yet there is no documentation for the interfaces used.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (08/24/89)

    Can anyone tell me how I can get the MIT ... documentation

Full documentation is included in the R3 distribution from the MIT Software
Center, but hardcopy documentation for (most of core) R3 can also be ordered
from them.  Call the X Hotline, (617) 258-8330, for info.

davis@b11.ingr.com (Chris Davis) (11/14/89)

I am inquiring about information on documentation for the X Toolkits.
I have the items from the ~/doc/... directories, but am looking for
a book on programming with the X Toolkit(s).  Any info would be appreciated.

Christopher C. Davis         |   "Music is the expression of one's identity,
...uunet!ingr!davis	     |   if you conform, then you are forever doomed

linda@ora.ora.com (Linda Walsh) (11/15/89)

From article <6552@b11.ingr.com>, by davis@b11.ingr.com (Chris Davis):
> I am inquiring about information on documentation for the X Toolkits.
> I have the items from the ~/doc/... directories, but am looking for
> a book on programming with the X Toolkit(s).  Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Christopher C. Davis         |   "Music is the expression of one's identity,
> ...uunet!ingr!davis	     |   if you conform, then you are forever doomed
> 			     | to follow in blind faith."

O'Reilly & Assocates' two-volume set on the X Toolkit Intrinsics
(a programmers guide and a reference manual, with examples based
on Athena widgets) will be available the first of January.
These books should serve the purposes of anyone programming with
Xt, regardless of the widget set being used.
In the spring we plan to publish a Motif version of the toolkit books.

We're also planning to write a "Widgets Reference Manual",
which will include Open Look, Motif, and Athena widgets,
due to be published in the spring.

If you do not receive our catalog, e-mail your postal address
to me and I'll see that your name is included in our X mailing list.

Linda Walsh (617) 354-5800
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
90 Sherman Street, Cambridge, MA 02140
UUCP:	uunet!ora!linda      ARPA:   linda@ora.uu.net