[comp.windows.x] Re^2: Xhp Success

rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) (11/16/89)

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) writes:

>In article <430@tci.bell-atl.com> rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) writes:
>>FYI, the reason I wanted to do this is two fold:
>>one is that the Motif widget set is based on the
>>Xhp set, so I hope we can start learning something
>>that will make our Motif programming a little
>>easier when we get around to getting Motif.

>A little additional information -- using the HP widget set is great if
>you want to get people started using the user interface; the look and feel
>of Motif is based on Xhp.  But the programming interface is based upon
>the Digital XUI widget set.

>	-paul asente
>	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente

Yes, this is true.  I have a DS3100 and it is a real *NICE*
machine, BUT, the documentation/manuals for programming
the DWT widget set are very deficient.  The examples are
incomplete and poorly organized.  I started with Volume #1,
XUI programming and got stuck very quickly.  The DEC manuals
and associated widget set are very difficult for a novice X
programmer to learn from.  Doug's book on the other hand is
very easy to read, you can type in examples and learn fast.

After I've spent some more time using the Xhp widget set, I will
make another try learning DEC's UIL and basic widgets, because
the XUI is what we will get with Motif.

A suggestion maybe you DECies can pass along to your doc
people: How about a "Tutorial
on the DEC Widget Set and UIL" that can be given away with
with the doc set or by request.  You might even suggest
to them that they read Doug's book for a flavor of what
makes a good tutorial; copious examples, simple explanations,
etc.!

Bob Rose
TCI