[comp.windows.x] An X file manager????

pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) (11/01/89)

Hello,
	Has anyone here heard of, seen, heard rumors about, are working
on an X implememtation of a file manager, much like the ones that
proliferate in the Public Domain in I*M PC land.

	It would show you a list of files in the CWD along with subdirs,
. and .. and then let you perform an action on any one or multiple
files. ( eg. cp, rm, lpr ... etc. )  A command like Show, would let
you view the contents of a file or directory.

	Something like the d*sshell that comes with D*S 4.0.

Sorry for the "four-letter words" spattered though this posting.
....Paul F

--
           Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services                          University of Waterloo  Waterloo, Ontario Canada  N2L-3G1                 < pfratar@watshine.UWaterloo.ca >        < pfratar@watserv1.UWaterloo.ca >                              < pfratar@watdcs.bitnet >                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"My friend Paco,  there are two types of people in this world, those with

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (11/01/89)

In article <25@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu
(Paul Frattaroli - DCS) writes:
> 	Has anyone here heard of, seen, heard rumors about, are working
> on an X implememtation of a file manager, much like the ones that
> proliferate in the Public Domain in I*M PC land.

Well, there's dxue in DECwindows, which is similar to the text-oriented
PC file managers.  A couple of graphically oriented file managers are
those from Visix and IXI.  Both present Macintosh-style user
interfaces, with most ofthe power and all of the limitations of the
Macintosh shell.  They've been widely advertised, but I don't have
contact info.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

montnaro@sprite.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) (11/02/89)

(Paul Frattaroli - DCS) writes:
   > 	Has anyone here heard of, seen, heard rumors about, are working
   > on an X implememtation of a file manager, much like the ones that
   > proliferate in the Public Domain in I*M PC land.

Sun distributes filemgr as part of its X11/NeWS offering. It provides a
Mac-ish interface to the file system. As Ken Lee pointed out, it has most of
the power and limitations of the Finder i/f.

One particular problem I haven't seen solved well is that of navigating
around in an enormous file space. Your typical Mac probably has less than
100MB of disk space, all of it local to the computer, and probably familiar
to the user. I have 138 MB available, just for my user disk space. Our
two Encore file servers each have 6 GBs, and we have many Sun file servers
with storage capacities between 500 MB and 2GB. Of course, NFS and Sun's
automounter have conspired to make most of this storage easily visible to
me. How do you navigate around in such a huge file system tree?

If this discussion is to continue along the thread I've started, it's best
moved to another newsgroup, such as comp.lang.visual or comp.graphics.
Accordingly, I've directed followups to comp.lang.visual.

--
Skip Montanaro (montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com)

clive@ixi.co.uk (Clive Feather) (11/02/89)

In article <25@watserv1.waterloo.edu> pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) writes:
>Hello,
>	Has anyone here heard of, seen, heard rumors about, are working
>on an X implememtation of a file manager, much like the ones that
>proliferate in the Public Domain in I*M PC land.
>
>	It would show you a list of files in the CWD along with subdirs,
>. and .. and then let you perform an action on any one or multiple
>files. ( eg. cp, rm, lpr ... etc. )  A command like Show, would let
>you view the contents of a file or directory.

Sounds just like X.desktop - our user-friendly interface to Unix. It runs on
X11, and is available on Suns, HPs, Apollos, 386s, as well as being shipped by
several vendors. Check out your nearest Unix trade show, or contact us.

Our address is:

    IXI Limited
    62-74 Burleigh Street
    Cambridge
    CB1  1OJ
    United Kingdom

Phone: +44 223 462 131
Fax:   +44 223 462 132
--
Clive D.W. Feather
IXI Limited

jeff@visix.UUCP (Jeff Barr) (11/08/89)

In article <25@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) writes:
> Hello,
> 	Has anyone here heard of, seen, heard rumors about, are working
> on an X implememtation of a file manager, much like the ones that
> proliferate in the Public Domain in I*M PC land.
>
> 	It would show you a list of files in the CWD along with subdirs,
> . and .. and then let you perform an action on any one or multiple
> files. ( eg. cp, rm, lpr ... etc. )  A command like Show, would let
> you view the contents of a file or directory.

Disclaimer:  I work for Visix Software.

Visix Software offers Looking Glass, a graphical desktop that does the
things you ask for, and much more.  For more information you can send
me email or write us at:

	Visix Software, Inc.
	1525 Wilson Boulevard, 4th Floor
	P.O. Box 12547
	Arlington, VA 22209

						Jeff Barr

  /\       Jeff Barr   \    / Visix Software, Inc.  /\  800-832-8668 \    /
 /  \  uunet!visix!jeff \  /   1525 Wilson Blvd.   /  \ 703-841-5858  \  /
/ visix!jeff@uunet.uu.net\/   Arlington, VA 22209 /    \               \/

noel@ixi.co.uk (Noel Poore) (11/09/89)

In article <25@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) writes:
> Hello,
> 	Has anyone here heard of, seen, heard rumors about, are working
> on an X implememtation of a file manager, much like the ones that
> proliferate in the Public Domain in I*M PC land.
>
> 	It would show you a list of files in the CWD along with subdirs,
> . and .. and then let you perform an action on any one or multiple
> files. ( eg. cp, rm, lpr ... etc. )  A command like Show, would let
> you view the contents of a file or directory.

DISCLAIMER:  I am employed by IXI.

IXI make X.desktop, a desktop manager for X which is available on
a wide variety of Un*x systems. It includes all of the facilities you
have listed and a lot more. See us at Uniforum or call/write us:

        IXI Limited               Tel: +44 223 462131
        62-74 Burleigh Street
        Cambridge CB1 1OJ
        England.

--
Noel Poore
IXI Limited (+44 223 462131)

richard@torch.co.uk (Richard Nuttall) (11/13/89)

pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) writes:

>Hello,
>	Has anyone here heard of, seen, heard rumors about, are working
>on an X implememtation of a file manager, much like the ones that
>proliferate in the Public Domain in I*M PC land.

>	It would show you a list of files in the CWD along with subdirs,
>. and .. and then let you perform an action on any one or multiple
>files. ( eg. cp, rm, lpr ... etc. )  A command like Show, would let
>you view the contents of a file or directory.

Y-OpenTop has been available for some time now, and is based on OpenTop,
the FIRST iconic desktop manager for UNIX.

Files are shown as active text or icons, and gives you a full directory
browser. Files can be copied deleted, and so on, just using a mouse.

Y-OpenTop is available for a wide range of machines, including Sun, HP,
Mac, etc.

Contact me at address below for more details.

Richard.

--
Richard Nuttall       |    ukc!stc!datlog!torch!richard
Manager, X Technology |    richard@torch.co.uk

davis@b11.ingr.com (Chris Davis) (11/17/89)

In article <411@torch.co.uk>, richard@torch.co.uk (Richard Nuttall) writes:
> pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) writes:
>
> >Hello,
> >	Has anyone here heard of, seen, heard rumors about, are working
> >on an X implememtation of a file manager, much like the ones that
> >proliferate in the Public Domain in I*M PC land.
>
> Y-OpenTop has been available for some time now, and is based on OpenTop,
> the FIRST iconic desktop manager for UNIX.

Looking Glass is another possible choice for an X/UNIX Desktop Manager.
This software is developed at Visix, INC.

Christopher C. Davis
...uunet!ingr!davis