[comp.windows.x] Xhp Success

rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) (11/15/89)

Hi gang, just wanted to let you all
know that I have succeeded in my quest!

Some people where asking what a DS3100 is; it's
a DecStation.  The DS3100 only has X11R3.

I got the Xhp widget set (new version) from
MIT, compiled them with almost no problem
(you have to turn off -O for one file) and
was able to run them successfully so far.

FYI, the reason I wanted to do this is two fold:
one is that the Motif widget set is based on the
Xhp set, so I hope we can start learning something
that will make our Motif programming a little
easier when we get around to getting Motif.

The other reaon (and this includes a plug!) is
to try out the examples in Doug Young's book.
I think this book is an excellent way to learn
about the Xt intrinsics as well as learning some
widget programming.  The book has a lot of
pitcures, diagrams, and most important, SOURCE CODE!

From what I've read and tried so far, I can easily
recommend this book to people trying to learn how
to write widget programs.  Nice job Doug.  When's
the updated Motif version coming out?

Thanks again for all the mail responses to my query!

Bob Rose
TCI

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (11/15/89)

In article <430@tci.bell-atl.com> rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) writes:
>FYI, the reason I wanted to do this is two fold:
>one is that the Motif widget set is based on the
>Xhp set, so I hope we can start learning something
>that will make our Motif programming a little
>easier when we get around to getting Motif.

A little additional information -- using the HP widget set is great if
you want to get people started using the user interface; the look and feel
of Motif is based on Xhp.  But the programming interface is based upon
the Digital XUI widget set.

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (11/17/89)

> FYI, the reason I wanted to do this is two fold:
> one is that the Motif widget set is based on the
> Xhp set, so I hope we can start learning something
> that will make our Motif programming a little
> easier when we get around to getting Motif.

Warning, Warning! Danger, Danger!

Motif's appearence is based on HP widgets, the actual
widget functionality is similar, but different. There are
some things that will bite you in the ass. Do not depend
on subtle things in the API (like being able to specify
widget names in form constraint resources).

		-- Chan Benson
		HP Fort Collins