[comp.windows.x] Xhp in X11R3

rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) (11/09/89)

We are planning to use the Motif widgets for a project
here.  I've just got all the paperwork signed, and now
I'm afraid I'll have to wait about 30 days for the source
code from OSF.  This is a real pain!!

In the meantime, I'd like to try out the HP widget set
since the Motif widgets are derived from them.  I have
a DS3100 which (I beleive) runs X11R3.

In looking at the widgets on the X tape, it says in the
README that the Xhp widgets have been tested on Sun's and
DS3100's running X11R2.  Can they run with X11R3?

I've been trying to compile them to test it out and have
found some problems.  Am  I wasting my time??

Has anyone been able to compile and use the HP widget
set on a DS3100, or any system with X11R3?

thanks much,
Bob Rose
Technology Concepts Inc.

rose@tci.bell-atl.com

elron@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (gary.f.york) (11/17/89)

In article <422@tci.bell-atl.com> rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) writes:

>Has anyone been able to compile and use the HP widget
>set on a DS3100, or any system with X11R3?
>
>thanks much,
>Bob Rose
>Technology Concepts Inc.
>
>rose@tci.bell-atl.com

I've modified the HP widget set to work with R3 -- though would
hesitate to claim it bullet-proof.  If you're interested in
getting the code, let me know.  Have had reasonably good luck
with it on a Sun3.

A caveat here:  These modifications were not made in any systematic
manner.  I just kept tracking down problems in compilation and
execution and "fiddled" until it worked.  If you use widgets
that I have not, it's entirely possible that you'll need to do
a little "fiddling" yourself.  The only comfort I have to offer
is that it's been hassle free for me for the last several months.

Currently, I'm working to allow use of the Hp Widget set with C++.
Using Bob Miner's headers for ansiXlib.h and ansiXt.h as a base
(Thanks Bob!) I've added ansiXw.h and "fiddled" until I could
compile and execute a C++ified version of the drawing program
given as an example in Doug Young's book.  This stuff is much less
stable and still has a few weeks to go before it will be half-way
reliable.

Gary York
att!ihlpm!elron
AT&T Bell Labs