[comp.windows.x] xdbx, xfig, xterm problems

andrew@isgtec.UUCP (Andrew) (11/18/89)

Hello X World, I am still in need of help regarding the following
programs: xterm, xdbx, xfig

OS Summary:
^^^^^^^^^^^
	Sun3 and Sparc station 1: running SunOS4.0.3
	On SPARC:
		MIT server R3 and
		OSF MOTIF version 1.0
	    or
		Sun OpenWindows server FCS 1.0 and
		OSF MOTIF version 1.0
	On Sun3:
		MIT server R3 and
		OSF MOTIF version 1.0

xterm: This problem only exists on the SPARC running OpenWindows. It works
fine on the MIT server on either Sun3 or SPARC. The problem is when I
try to have scroll bars on the xterm window by typing:

xterm -sb

Here is the dbx output:

> stopped in spawn at line 1239 in file "main.c"
>  1239                            XtParent(term));
> `term = 0x83af0
> (dbx) s
> X Error:  BadValue, integer parameter out of range for operation
>   Request Major code 2 ()
>   Request Minor code
>   ResourceID 0xa00016
>   Error Serial #54
>   Current Serial #55

(This one's for you, Brian Smith and Phillip Shaffer:
xdbx: (the problem only occurs on SPARC, since the Sun3 version is fixed.)
I have the three patch files now for xdbx (therefore I am at PATCHLEVEL 1?)
Over the last few days, a patch was sugguested to fix xdbx for a system
running 4.0.3:

>    /* ask window manager for input focus: */
>    {
>      XWMHints wmhints;
>      wmhints = XGetWMHints(XtDisplay(vpane), XtWindow(vpane));
>      wmhints.input = True;
>      wmhints.flags = InputHint;
>      XSetWMHints(XtDisplay(vpane), XtWindow(vpane), &wmhints);
>    }

It looks like it might work, but I receive a bad window error on the line
wmhints = XGetWMHints(Xt....

I believe that I put the patch in the right place (ie. After the line
vpane = XtCreateManagedWidget("vpane", vPanedWidgetClass, parent, args, n);)

Does this mean that a managed child cannot have its WMHints adjusted? What
am I doing wrong?

xfig:

Okay, I have now brought xfig up-to patch level 6, yet I am
still having problems with getting it to run.

return:
^^^^^^^
X Toolkit Warning: Representation type Cursor must match superclass's to
 override cursor
X Toolkit Warning: No type converter registered for 'Cursor' to 'Pixel'
 conversion.

signal SEGV (segmentation violation) in XmuCreateStippledPixmap

Looking at dbx:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

stopped in init_panel at line 190 in file "panel.c"
  190                   button_callbacks[0].closure = (caddr_t)sw;
(dbx) s
stopped in init_panel at line 193 in file "panel.c"
  193                           panel_sw, button_args, XtNumber(button_args));
(dbx) s
X Toolkit Warning: Representation type Cursor must match superclass's to overrid
e cursor
X Toolkit Warning: No type converter registered for 'Cursor' to 'Pixel' conversi
on.
signal SEGV (segmentation violation) in XmuCreateStippledPixmap at 0x29ee2
XmuCreateStippledPixmap+0xa:            movl    a0@(4),a5
(dbx) where
XmuCreateStippledPixmap(0x0, 0x10000ff, 0x670000, 0x86f80008) at 0x29ee2
GetgrayGC(0x7e384) at 0x29501
`Label`Initialize(0xefff654, 0x7e384) at 0x29587
CallInitialize(0x67e54, 0xefff654, 0x7e384, 0x64f00, 0x9) at 0x2c6e3
CallInitialize(0x67866, 0xefff654, 0x7e384, 0x64f00, 0x9) at 0x2c6c7
_XtCreate(0x64f4e, 0x0, 0x67866, 0x7dda0, 0x786f8, 0x64f00, 0x9, 0x0) at 0x2c939
XtCreateWidget(0x64f4e, 0x67866, 0x7dda0, 0x64f00, 0x9) at 0x2ca8f
XtCreateManagedWidget(0x64f4e, 0x67866, 0x7dda0, 0x64f00, 0x9) at 0x2cb29
init_panel(tool = 0x7dc9c), line 193 in "panel.c"
main(argc = 1, argv = 0xefff994, 0xefff9a4), line 322 in "main.c"

I know that these are old (and maybe stupid) problems, but I really
would like to get these programs working. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!
Thnkyou in advance.
THE END!

--
Andrew MacLean                     ...uunet!mnetor!censor!isgtec!andrew
Success is a journey, not an adventure!   ...utzoo!censor!isgtec!andrew

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (11/19/89)

    xterm: This problem only exists on the SPARC running OpenWindows. It works
    fine on the MIT server on either Sun3 or SPARC. The problem is when I
    try to have scroll bars on the xterm window by typing:

The R3 xterm is buggy, as are numerous other R3 clients that use an illegal
do-not-propagate-mask value.  The OpenWindows server is correct in being
offended by the value. The MIT R4 server will similarly be offended, although
the R4 server provides a "bug compatibility" mode to allow broken clients
to continue to operate.  You might check to see if the OpenWindows server
has a similar option.

lemke@lupine.UUCP (Dave Lemke) (11/19/89)

  From:  uunet!mnetor!utzoo!censor!isgtec!andrew  (Andrew)
  Date:  17 Nov 89 20:13:02 GMT

  xterm: This problem only exists on the SPARC running OpenWindows. It works
  fine on the MIT server on either Sun3 or SPARC. The problem is when I
  try to have scroll bars on the xterm window by typing:

  xterm -sb

  Here is the dbx output:

  > stopped in spawn at line 1239 in file "main.c"
  >  1239                            XtParent(term));
  > `term = 0x83af0
  > (dbx) s
  > X Error:  BadValue, integer parameter out of range for operation
  >   Request Major code 2 ()
  >   Request Minor code
  >   ResourceID 0xa00016
  >   Error Serial #54
  >   Current Serial #55

you've got an old (before R3 fix#3) version of xterm.  it had a bug in
its scrollbar widget that tried to set a bogus do_not_propogate mask.
xnews catches this and complains.  apply patch#3 to xterm, or use
the one provided in OpenWindows.

Dave Lemke				ARPA: lemke@ncd.com
Network Computing Devices, Inc. 	UUCP: uunet!ncd!lemke

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (11/20/89)

In article <215@isgtec.UUCP> andrew@isgtec.UUCP (Andrew) writes:

< Hello X World, I am still in need of help regarding the following
< programs: xterm, xdbx, xfig

< I have the three patch files now for xdbx (therefore I am at PATCHLEVEL 1?)
< Over the last few days, a patch was sugguested to fix xdbx for a system
< running 4.0.3:

It doesn't have to do with what version of the operating system, but which
window manager you are running:

< >    /* ask window manager for input focus: */
< >    {
< >      XWMHints wmhints;
< >      wmhints = XGetWMHints(XtDisplay(vpane), XtWindow(vpane));
< >      wmhints.input = True;
< >      wmhints.flags = InputHint;
< >      XSetWMHints(XtDisplay(vpane), XtWindow(vpane), &wmhints);
< >    }
<
< It looks like it might work, but I receive a bad window error on the line
< wmhints = XGetWMHints(Xt....
<
< I believe that I put the patch in the right place (ie. After the line
< vpane = XtCreateManagedWidget("vpane", vPanedWidgetClass, parent, args, n);)
<
< Does this mean that a managed child cannot have its WMHints adjusted? What
< am I doing wrong?

You have to Realize the Widget before it has a window associated with it.
The call to XGetWMHints should go after XtRealize...  .

< ________________________________________________________________________
< xfig:
<
< Okay, I have now brought xfig up-to patch level 6, yet I am
< still having problems with getting it to run.
<
< signal SEGV (segmentation violation) in XmuCreateStippledPixmap
<
< Looking at dbx:
< ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<
< stopped in init_panel at line 193 in file "panel.c"
<   193                           panel_sw, button_args, XtNumber(button_args));
< (dbx) s
< X Toolkit Warning: Representation type Cursor must match superclass's to overrid
< e cursor
< X Toolkit Warning: No type converter registered for 'Cursor' to 'Pixel' conversi
< on.

I wish I could help here, but I haven't seen this error in xfig, even
on SunOs 4.0

Anyone else care to comment?

--
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)