[comp.windows.x] OpenWindows deficiencies

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (11/15/89)

jordan@morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) writes:
>Jeff Nisewanger (Window Systems Group) <jdn@sun.com> writes:
>>The use of xdm is not supported under OpenWindows 1.0.
>Is anyone else getting sick of the things that have come to be
>convention in the X world not being supported by "Open-Windows" ...?  I
>know that XView is not based on the Intrinsics, but you would think
>that the least Sun could do is provide a shared-library-built libXt ...

I think it is comical how they call it OpenWindows.  Its exactly as
stupid as DEC calling their byte-swapped MIPS machines "open."

It is clear that those vendors with proprietary mind-sets are going to
die off.  It is too bad that Sun started out with an open strategy and
now has taken the suicidal DEC route towards proprietary systems.  Sun
just continues to insult the intelligence of its customers by calling
its closed, dead-end products and systems "open."

OpenWindows, SPARC, s-bus, sun-specific VME, ...
DECwindows, byte-swapped MIPS, sue-anybody-who-tries-to-use-it-bus, ...

See any similarities?  You may balk at my including DECwindows in with
the closed systems, because it currently is just X.  But DEC FORTRAN
was once just FORTRAN too...

PS: Is there going to be a GOOD implementation of X11R4 on EISA-based
386/486 SystemVR4 machines?

PPS: Is there going to be a GOOD implementation of SVR4 on EISA-based
386/486 machines which will support DOS applications with individual X
windows instead of taking over the entire screen resource?

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (11/16/89)

In article <6447@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
(David E. Smyth) writes:

> I think it is comical how they call it OpenWindows.  Its exactly as
> stupid as DEC calling their byte-swapped MIPS machines "open."

I am shocked that you believe your own silly hype!
Is this what comp.windows.x is about?  Should we sit
mute and read such nonsense?

I don't see how you  can link hardware technology with openess
without expalining what you mean.  Digital's RISC machines
are little endian  like the Sun 386 and the millions of all Intel-based
PC machines sold to-date.  Does that make them un-"open"?
Making a piece of technology *available* is what really makes that
technology open.   I am not claiming that everything is perfect and
dandy....but, your noise evades reality.

> OpenWindows, SPARC, s-bus, sun-specific VME, ...
> DECwindows, byte-swapped MIPS, sue-anybody-who-tries-to-use-it-bus, ...

Sun and DEC has made available the sources for their toolkits.....so I
do not see the point of your diatribe.

> PS: Is there going to be a GOOD implementation of X11R4 on EISA-based
> 386/486 SystemVR4 machines?
> PPS: Is there going to be a GOOD implementation of SVR4 on EISA-based
> 386/486 machines which will support DOS applications with individual X
> windows instead of taking over the entire screen resource?

The contradiction and ignorance dispalyed here is disturbing!
Who own  386/486 SystemVR4 machines?  Glasnost? ;^)
Or, all this stuff is manna from heaven?!

Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp
Ultrix Resource Center
New York City

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (11/18/89)

In article <1517@riscy.dec.com> graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) writes:

>In article <6447@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
>(David E. Smyth) writes:
>
>> I think it is comical how they call it OpenWindows.

>Making a piece of technology *available* is what really makes that
>technology open.

No, multi-vendor availability makes a technology "open."  VAXes are
*available*, but they obviously are not "open."  One can buy a PC from
lotsa companies, they are obviously "open."

>Sun and DEC has made available the sources for their toolkits.....so I
>do not see the point of your diatribe.

Sun is just trying to cause a diversion, to break up the continuity
within the trend towards X.  They could have provided X a long time
ago, but no, they have their own little isolated drum to beat: NeWS.

NeWS was a good idea.  So was CP/M.  But both lost.  Not necessarily
to "better" solutions, but to more widely used solutions.  A PC
which runs CP/M and MS-DOS provides no useful value over a pure
MS-DOS machine, and less value if it makes running MS-DOS sorta wierd.

OpenWindows makes running X sorta weird.

Lotsa-vendor availability = Open.		example: X, Motif
Very-few-or-one-vendor support = Closed.	example: Open{Windows,Look}

elvis@athena.athena.ee.msstate.EDU (surfer) (11/20/89)

Will someone please define "Open" before we all go crazy with this
meaningless argument...

-John West-				 elvis@athena.ee.msstate.edu
MADEM Project **** Research Center for Advanced Scientific Computing
Mississippi State University
P.O. Drawer EE				      (601) 325-8234 (voice)
Mississippi State, MS 39762		      (601) 325-2298   (fax)
USA
........the opinions presented here are those of the King..........