[comp.windows.x] Looking for info on X terminals.

dieter@lynn.cs.ucla.edu (Dieter Rothmeier) (11/17/89)

We are looking into buying a few X terminals, and I need
phone numbers for various vendors, like NCD, Visual, HDS and
any others that may exist. If you have recommendations, we
would like to hear them.

Thanks,
Dieter

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (11/18/89)

In article <29236@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, dieter@lynn.cs.ucla.edu (Dieter
Rothmeier) writes:
> We are looking into buying a few X terminals, and I need
> phone numbers for various vendors, like NCD, Visual, HDS and
> any others that may exist. If you have recommendations, we
> would like to hear them.

Seems like everyone is in the X terminal market these days.  According
to the trade newspapers, Digital, HP, and AT&T recently announced that
they would begin shipping X terminals early next year.  For some time, IBM
has been leaking info about an X terminal, but nothing official.  MIPS,
Tektronix, NCR, Jupiter Systems, Graph-On, and Acer-Counterpoint are
other X terminal vendors (or resellers).  I expect to see more products
and lower prices in the next couple of years.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (11/19/89)

| From: klee@decwrl.dec.com
|
| Seems like everyone is in the X terminal market these days. ...  I expect
| to see more products and lower prices in the next couple of years.

  Not unless they change they way they work.  If the majority of X
terminal manufacturers continue to insist on running the server in the
terminal itself they're going to be stuck with expensive hardware.

Casey

	Still trying to work up community interest on a ddx/dix remote
	access protocol and carrying the torch for same ...

des@xpiinc.UUCP (Daniel E. Stone) (11/21/89)

The number for Visual Technology is 1-800-VISUALC, where VISUALC is 847-8252.
We are moving to Westboro, MA this week and next so phone service may be
disrupted for an hour or 2.

Things are going well for Visual. At Comdex we announced our X15 and X19 Turbo
to go along with our X19.  Please call for further information.

						Dan Stone
						Sr. Software Engineer
						Visual Technology
						120 Flanders Rd.