[comp.windows.x] Screen resolution

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (11/21/89)

Is there a "proper" way to determine the resolution of a screen, e.g.,
something other than XHeightOfScreen (s) / XHeightMMOfScreen (s) ?

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (11/21/89)

In article <1172@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>Is there a "proper" way to determine the resolution of a screen, e.g.,
>something other than XHeightOfScreen (s) / XHeightMMOfScreen (s) ?
>
>Paul DuBois
>dubois@primate.wisc.edu

you can height = pDisplay->screens[s].height or
        heightmm = pDisplay->screens[s].mheight

but then XHeightOfScreen and XHeightMMOfScreen are just macros that do the
same thing!

Benson, you are so mercifully devoid of the ravages of intelligence.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (11/21/89)

in Neutral) writes:
> Is there a "proper" way to determine the resolution of a screen, e.g.,
> something other than XHeightOfScreen (s) / XHeightMMOfScreen (s) ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "proper", but the method you describe is
pretty efficient already.  Neither of these functions (or the
equivalent macros) generate protocol, so the cost is pretty minimal.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee