[comp.windows.x] Status of Open Look based on Xt Toolkit

walters@COMMUNITY-CHEST.MITRE.ORG (Chris Walters) (11/15/89)

Anyone know the status of the AT&T offering for Open Look
based on the Xt Toolkit?
  -- Chris Walters, MITRE McLean
     walters@community-chest.mitre.org
     walters@euler.mitre.org (NeXT voice mail)

jdm@gssc.UUCP (John David Miller) (11/18/89)

The AT&T OPEN LOOK Toolkit, Xt+, is undergoing beta testing of Version 2.0
and is due to be available in January.  It now has the same UI look as
Sun's XView OPEN LOOK Toolkit, whereas the earlier Xt+ versions were
based on an older OPEN LOOK Specification.  This new look is quite sleek
and streamlined, IMHO.

Xt+ 2.0 has some interesting new features:

	Gadgets: use the same as widgets, but lower internal overhead

	Flat Widgets: efficient container widgets for managing sub-objects
	of the same class, like CheckBoxes, Nonexclusives, and Exclusives.

	Stub Widget: application-programmable widget.  That is, most of
	the otherwise internal widget hooks are available as application-
	specified resources, such as XtNexpose to chain in Expose event
	handling.

Performance is quite good, up a bit from the 1.x releases.  In particular,
it is hard to get ahead of sliders and scrollbars.

-- jdm
--
...!{tektronix!verdix}!sequent!gssc!jdm                John David Miller
(503) 641-2200                                         Graphic Software Systems

wolf@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf) (11/20/89)

In article <8911150415.AA15423@chance.mitre.org> walters@COMMUNITY-CHEST.MITRE.ORG (Chris Walters) writes:
>Anyone know the status of the AT&T offering for Open Look
>based on the Xt Toolkit?
>  -- Chris Walters, MITRE McLean
>     walters@community-chest.mitre.org
>     walters@euler.mitre.org (NeXT voice mail)

I've been using OpenLook v1.0(v1.1?) for a couple of months now.  It looks
like a product AT&T sells to the outside world...It is pretty nice.  If you
have programmed with intrinsics-based widgets in the past, no new learning
is required (vs. XView, where you have to learn SunView API.)

Tom

--
+---Disclaimer:-Any-opinions-expressed-in----+ I don't know what I'm talking
| Tom Wolf      | Phone:  (201) 949-2079     | about.  If it were otherwise, I
| Bell Labs, NJ | E-mail: wolf@howdy.att.com | wouldn't be talking about things
+---this-article-may-not-be-those-of-AT&T.---+ I don't know anything about.

leach@tolerant.com (Geoffrey Leach) (11/22/89)

In article <8911150415.AA15423@chance.mitre.org> walters@COMMUNITY-CHEST.MITRE.ORG (Chris Walters) writes:
>Anyone know the status of the AT&T offering for Open Look
>based on the Xt Toolkit?

Open Look 1.0 is available for 386/AT platforms from you friendly neighbourhood
ATT distributor - if you can find one!  I've been developing under it for a
with reasonable success.  2.0 is in beta.