[comp.windows.x] mono gif viewers

zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) (11/21/89)

Are there any gif viewers for X that represent colors as shades
on monochrome monitors?  If so, where can I ftp such a program from?

Thanks,

ZT Smith (zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu)

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (11/22/89)

< Are there any gif viewers for X that represent colors as shades
< on monochrome monitors?  If so, where can I ftp such a program from?

Jef Poskanzer's "Extended Portable Bitmap Toolkit", pbmplus is available
from expo.lcs.mit.edu (18.30.0.212).

It will convert gif (and several other format) files to monochrome bitmaps
or to other formats.
_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (11/22/89)

zs04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zachary T. Smith) writes:
>Are there any gif viewers for X that represent colors as shades
>on monochrome monitors?  If so, where can I ftp such a program from?

My xloadimage program will halftone dither color images for monochrome
displays with fair quality and speed.  Currently I don't support GIF
(I'm working on it) but I do support Sun Rasterfiles so if you can
find a copy of gif2ras you could do it.  If you find a copy of it, let
me know as I'm having a bit of trouble decoding the bizarre GIF raster
data format (close, but no cigar).  I'll send out a GIF support patch
as soon as I have one available, hopefully within a week or so, faster
if I get some help.

Xloadimage is available from expo.lcs.mit.edu in the contrib
directory.  Be sure to get the associated patch file
(xloadimage.patch02.Z), too, as it adds support for XPM images.

Anyone who has online information on LZW compression (theory and/or
code samples (not derived from xgif)) or TIFF files would do me a
great favor if they would email it or tell me where I could ftp it.
Information on other common graphics formats would also be welcomed,
as it is my intent to support as many as possible.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com