[comp.windows.x] xlock program for x-terminals?

crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) (11/23/89)

Does anyone know of a screen locking program that will work on an
x-terminal. In particular we are using an ncd 19. I've tried running the
latest xlock (sccs version 22.4). It locks the screen, but once I've
entered my password I get the following:

X Protocol error detected by server: attempt to access private resource
  Failed request major op code 111 X_SetAccessControl
  Failed request minor op code 0 (if applicable)
  ResourceID 0x40000004 in failed request (if applicable)
  Serial number of failed request 991
  Current serial number in output stream 997

If I try and run any x programs after this I get

Server is not authorized to connect to host
X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display:

And if I try and run xlock again I get

xlock: can't lock pike's display

(pike is the terminal name).

Does anyone have a locking program that will work, or a patch to xlock
to make it work?

Thanks,

Chris
Chris Rouch                                             crouch@axion.bt.co.uk
RT3141, BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, England.              +44 473 646093

unspoilt by progress

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (11/24/89)

In article <1989Nov22.171610.21415@axion.bt.co.uk> crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) writes:
>Does anyone know of a screen locking program that will work on an
>x-terminal. In particular we are using an ncd 19. I've tried running the
I would like to warn those who think that running a screen lock program,
with its nifty display which is supposedly designed to not BURN THE SCREEN.
These displays DO BURN THE SCREEN and they should be modified so that
they do not inhibit the normal screen saver supported in most X terminals.
The displays do not hit the screen completely uniformly, and why even burn
the screen uniformly as it it reduces contrast and brightness.

    UNLESS YOU WANT A BURNT HARD TO READ SCREEN A YEAR FROM NOW, OF COURSE!

The latest AWM has a screen burning function that you can build right into
it, to make burning your screen as painless as possible.  Remember, in the
old days you replaced your machine yearly because the CPU became a dog. This
did not leave a lot of time to burn the screen.  With an X terminal which
is fast enought that you cant see it draw, you won't be replacing it very
soon.  Unless, of course, you burn the screen and make it hard on the eyes.
brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp

johnr@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John Rosauer) (11/27/89)

In article <1989Nov22.171610.21415@axion.bt.co.uk>,
crouch@crunchie.axion.bt.co.uk (Chris Rouch) writes:
> Does anyone know of a screen locking program that will work on an
> x-terminal. In particular we are using an ncd 19. I've tried running the
> latest xlock (sccs version 22.4). It locks the screen, but once I've
> entered my password I get the following:
>
> X Protocol error detected by server: attempt to access private resource
>   Failed request major op code 111 X_SetAccessControl
>   Failed request minor op code 0 (if applicable)
>   ResourceID 0x40000004 in failed request (if applicable)
>   Serial number of failed request 991
>   Current serial number in output stream 997
>
> If I try and run any x programs after this I get
>
> Server is not authorized to connect to host
> X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display:
>
> And if I try and run xlock again I get
>
> xlock: can't lock pike's display
>
> (pike is the terminal name).
>
> Does anyone have a locking program that will work, or a patch to xlock
> to make it work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
> Chris Rouch                                             crouch@axion.bt.co.uk
> RT3141, BTRL, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, England.              +44 473 646093
>
> unspoilt by progress

To get the display to work again go to Setup mode, then to "Network
Management",
then turn "TCP/IP Access Control" to OFF.
John Andrew Rosauer			    |   johnr@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923497
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557