[comp.windows.x] 386/ix X11 Info wanted

comeau@CRC.SKL.DND.CA (Phil Comeau) (11/23/89)

Dear X Community:

We are looking into developing an application using 386/ix X11, and
are seeking information from those with experience in same. We plan
to run with 4Mb of RAM, 2Mb of which are required by the application.
How comfortable is this product with 2Mb? Is our plan even feasible?

We plan to use the Matrox graphics board. What kind of performance
can we expect? I'm looking for anecdotal, subjective replies. Please
send any replies to me, and I'll sumarize if there's sufficient
interest.

Phil Comeau
comeau@crc.skl.dnd.ca

jrh@mustang.dell.com (jrh) (11/28/89)

In article <8911231530.AA08021@CRC.SKL.DND.CA>, comeau@CRC.SKL.DND.CA (Phil Comeau) writes:

> Dear X Community:
>
> We are looking into developing an application using 386/ix X11, and
> are seeking information from those with experience in same. We plan
> to run with 4Mb of RAM, 2Mb of which are required by the application.
> How comfortable is this product with 2Mb? Is our plan even feasible?
>
> We plan to use the Matrox graphics board. What kind of performance
> can we expect? I'm looking for anecdotal, subjective replies. Please
> send any replies to me, and I'll sumarize if there's sufficient
> interest.

386/ix with 4MB of RAM will run OK.  However, X-Windows with only 4MB is
very slow, even at 25Mhz, due to all of the swapping, etc.  At least 8MB
to get decent performance with X.  If your application itself will require
2MB, a 4MB system would probably be near unusable (usability measured by
performance).

| James R. Howard                | Insert Standard Disclaimer Here...    |
| cs.utexas.edu!dell!mustang!jrh |                                       |